Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Timothy B. Schmit or Randy Meisner?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by D.J, Apr 21, 2002.

1. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Do you like them and what's your favorite?

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Early in my development as a bassist, I learned every song on The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-1975 album. Later when Meissner left and Schmidt came aboard I was bummed out, but then he won me over with that infectious groove on "Life In The Fast Lane". So, I have to call it a draw!

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'll have to go with Timothy B. Schmidt, although Meisner is an excellent bass player.

4. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Take It To The Limit- Randy Meisner hands down. Don Henley was an egotistical p****.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I prefer Timothy B. Schmidt, although he looks a bit like something out of a scary movie. (No offense, Tim.)

6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    You know what? As bassists, they are each good at what they do. Solid. Melodic when they need to be. Groovy in that Southern Californian country-ish kind of way. Superb.

But, let us not forget that they were (are) both great vocalists as well. Even on the "Hell Freezes Over" stuff, Schmidt shows that he still has great pipes. (Besides, wasn't he originally in Poco? They certainly were not too shabby in the ol' vocal department.)

7. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Ineal,

That was Meisner on "Life in the Fast Lane". T.B.S. didn't join until The Long Run album.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I like them both! Vocaly TBS is the man as for writing awesome grooves Randy is king.
    I call it a draw also!

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Right you are Harper! And there I thought I was the all-knowing, all-seeing guru of who played what! All that notwithstanding, it was a great groove ya gotta say. Sorry. mea culpa.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Randy's an excellent bassist, but I've been a big Timothy B. Schmitd fan for a long time. He won me over when I saw him play the fretless groove to "In a New York Minute". I think he really added to the Eagles harmony. He also always seemed like the most shy and most humble on stage.

Wish I could have seen the "Hell Freezes Over" concert when it came to my town, but it was like 125 bucks. :mad:

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I agree that both are great at what they do, but Meisner's backing vocal...the SCREAMING stratospheric high harmony...on "One Of These Nights", gets me every time. How does a man sing that high? That part makes Steve Perry sound like a bass vocalist.

On bass? Either or...

12. tiyorky

tiyorky

Nov 13, 2007
    YIP,GLENN FREY SAID HIS" TONGUE FELL ON THE TABLE" WHEN HE SAW RANDY WITH POCO.

13. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    One of my guilty pleasures is, whenever "I Can't Tell You Why" comes on the radio, mentally isolating the bass playing and just enjoying the piss out of it. Fabulously simple delicate playing, almost pretty but rock solid in the pocket. His vocals don't suck either. TBS FTW.

14. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    Two words.

Hotel California.

Meisner.

15. TS gets my vote just for brains....I mean, who in their right mind would quit the Eagles? :rolleyes:
    You couldn't blow me out of a quizillionaire $$ band like that with a nuclear bomb!:bag:
    Good Luck To You!

16. I like them both. Timothy has something special though. I saw him live with Poco back in the day a few times... very tasty player.

I always remember the interview where someone asked Tim what strings he used, and he said he didn't remember because it was over a decade since he changed them!!!! Totally not my sound, but as is always said... if it's good, it's good!

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    always been a bigger fan of Meissner's playing, but Schmidt's vocal contribution is pretty important too!

18. Yeah, I like them both but more partial to Tim. Just a tasty player who unfortunatley gets over looked. Good tone, solid, solid playing and what a great vocalist. He can groove and sing, and as mentioned does some really nice fretless work when they do "New York Min" live. Lots of these "70's" guys get over looked to often IMO. I'm only 34yrs old but I was Spoon Fed Fleetwood Mac and weaned on the Eagles by my Parents. John McVies bass lines are the reason I stared playing when I was 9. These guys are "nuts and bolts" and thats what it's about..groove. Why did those bands do so well, cause these guys know how to make Whole, quarter and eight notes groove against a simple Kick drum pattern at a medium tempo and yes good melodies...:)

19. I like Meisner with the Eagles and Schmidt with Poco. Tim was great on "The Long Run" and "Hell Freezes Over" though, but, I cant help but think I might have liked to see Randy there instead since he did most of their Albums. They are both great players and singers.

20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Both are great players and both fabulous singers with incredible vocal ranges. Randy got to sing Take It To The Limit, and Timothy singing I Can't Tell You Why.

But to me I like Meisner's style more, seems to have a little more groove in it, tone stands out a tiny bit more.
    I also like Eagles music and songwriting more of the Meisner era than TBS era.

Both had drool worthy bass collections.