1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Timothy Pitts

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by IamGroot, Sep 12, 2018.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I got to see Timothy Pitts, Houston Symphony Principal Bassist and Rice Faculty member play Mozarts Requiem up close Monday along with Rice Student Christopher Laven. Superb performance by the Rice Chorale and Chamber Orchestra and superb playing by both bassists.

I guess what blew me away about Pitts was how effortless he made it seem. Very little finger motion,lightning fast shifts, absolutely precise phrasing. Could not see his bowing or Christopher's playing from my seat.

Feeling very humbled.

2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
  3. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Tim is also also one of the nicest, gentlest people in the business.

For the record, like the other Rice bassprof PVE, he left the HSO some years ago, so former principal of HSO is more correct.

IamGroot and Sam Sherry like this.
  4. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Rice U is the West Point for bass players. Paul, if he hasn't already, deserves some kind of lifetime achievement award for the development of the program- including the other excellent string departments. Tim is a man of great musical taste, humor, wisdom and truthfulness. I'm proud knowing them both of them over many, many years.

wathaet likes this.