Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tin Ears

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ROCKBOBMEL_old, Jun 24, 2001.

1. I played a gig last night, and just could ot dig the sound at all. Everything sounded tinny. I wear Musicians earplugs, and even that didn't help last night. Sometimes everything is OK, but more and more I am very displeased with the sound.
    Our band plays very loud, and it starts with our hard hitting drummer. He is a very together guy and I really dig him, but when it comes to giging, he thinks he is Bonzo.
    I am seriously thinking of backing out of the band, but I'm just a hack, and don't know of anything else going on in my area.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, you're not alone, Bob. I just left my band, primarily because of the drummer. I don't get it. He wasn't at all dedicated to the project, even though he said he was (this is "action speaking louder than words"). He had a horrible attitude most of the time, no sense of humor, and was plain rude. He never dressed up at all for gigs, didn't acknowledge the audiences' applause, etc. Now, it would be one thing if the dude were a star player, but he wasn't. He really wasn't that great, and had difficulty keeping time. And he bashed the daylights out of the kit, which is why I had to "grow" my rig like mad just to be heard above it.

Anyway - after putting up with that crap for over a year, I decided I had better things to do. I hope that the next drummer I hook up with will be more healthful to my hearing and sense of humor. I hope you can find a better situation, too.

- Mike

3. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    so do i men but mine is worst i am play in a hevy metal group and he plays always fynky stile rithm,it never remember the song with the title we have to tell him how it go to understend what do we pay .last nigh we have a gig and we where on stage we tell him to play the 1st song he says-ok
    he count 1234 and wait us to begin so he can find the song is stupid i belive the most of the drumers are stupide

4. Mike, you obviously had an easier choice to make. Your drummer sounds very counter-productive.Easy to walk away.
    Mine is a very band, friend, family, and musically oriented guy. He is a great asset to the band in every way but volume.
    He is literally worth 3 people otherwise. It would be very hard for me to leave. The rest of the band are great people also. I am truely graced with such good folks. The volume sometimes is just too unravelling to me sometimes.

Hey Newstead- Is your first name Benjamin?

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Benjamintowle, is that you?

6. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Bob - here's my stupide reply... ;)

In your situation, it sounds to me like it would be worth the effort to try to get his musicality improved - tactfully, of course. If he is really a great guy, then he should be reasonably receptive (or at least not defensive). That's what drove me bugf*#^ about my drummer - you couldn't tell him anything or he'd go off and pout like a child. I can't work with people like that. Good musicianship goes hand-in-hand with getting a good beating critique-wise sometimes. I've gotten "beat up" musically by others many a time in my life, and most of the time it was for the better. You have to be able to listen to what people are saying about your playing and then trust them that they aren't out to *get* you. In your drummer's case, it sounds like he is mature enough to take well-intentioned criticism. It's not easy, but I'm sure it would be better than what I had to deal with. Good luck!

- Mike