Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tina Weymouth

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Philbiker, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Is a really great bass player IMHO. Anyone else a fan?

2. I've always liked her playing- nothing fancy to be sure, but solid and steady. I got to see the Heads on the Stop Making Sense tour, what a hoot!

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    She's great. I've always liked her grooves a lot, although I could do without her singing with Tom Tom Club.

4. I'm a fan of Tina's work with the Heads, too. One of my favorite songs to play along with is "Wild, Wild Life" which has a wonderful line.

I like her because she's solid and simple with her lines; it works great for the music and I find her style inspirational and refreshing.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i love to play "Psycho Killer" it´s a cool line too

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Oh, love the Talking Heads!

Does anyone have the CD "No Talking Just Head" that came out in 1996? Some of the songs kinda suck (at least the vocals do anyhow :p), but there's some very good basswork by Tina. :)

7. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm a huge TW fan. I've worn out multiple copies of the first 4 Heads albums. And, just recently, a friend sent me a recording of a '79 Heads concert in Chicago, on their Fear of Music (my fave TH album) tour. First off, an amazing recoring, had to be soundboard. Secondly, I was REALLY impressed with the super tight musicianship. esp. TW's playing...

8. Just in case some of you might not be aware...one of the worlds' best concert videos ever is available on DVD (has been for a few months, now)..."Stop Making Sense." It's been re-mixed to a very good quality Dolby Digital 5.1 and is simply outstanding.

Now where the hell is U2 ZooTV Live in Sydney???

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...was Tina even playing bass on the Stop Making Sense tour? I don't think so...

10. Indeed she was, Jim....this concert was filmed/directed by Jonathan Demme back in 1983 at
    the Pantages Theater in Hollywood.

Who can forget Byrne's solo rendition of "Psycho Killer?" The bandmembers coming out one at a time per song? David and Tina's duet of "Heaven?" Oh, great stuff.

If she wasn't playing, she was doing a perfect fake job :)

11. Believe me, she was playing. I was 25, in love, and only about 25 feet away from her. There weren't too many cute chick bassists back then ya know...

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I'm gonna dig out, I think, an early Bass Player interview where Tina said Byrne had hired, let's just say, a "funkier bassist". I seem to recall Tina singing & playing tambourine...
    Actually, '83 seems a little early for what I'm thinking...maybe I'm thinking post-Speaking In Tongues. I'll check it out later...

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got "Stop Making sense" on VCS and there are some tracks where she does play bass guitar and some where she doesn't - I think on some tracks it looks as if she is playing keyboards and there may be one where she is just hitting a tambourine and not playing any other instrument.

I must say that I am a fan, though - but not for technical reasons, but rather her imaginative playing. One of my favourite albums of all-time is "Fear of Music" and almost every track has a distinctive bassline that contributes to the "atmosphere" of the song and how it sounds. "Electric Guitar" for example has an amazing line that is way up in the mix and just makes the track. The lines aren't hard to play - but I just wonder at how she came up with them - the ideas are so off-the-wall.

On a lot of their early stuff, the guitars are playing very rhythmic stuff - choppy and clipped - and the bass is contributing a melody, or at least a very melodic line, which immediately identifies the song - without it the song wouldn't be half as distinctive.
    I've heard later stuff, and some of David Byrnee's solo stuff where, where there are "session" players and I really miss Tina Weymouth's quirky lines - for me they were an essential part of what Talking Heads was all about.

But both her and husband Chris don't seem to have any "ego problems" and are happy to play for the song when needed or drop out altogether - so I think their contributions are often under-estimated.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ..."OK", I dug out that BP & re-read Tina's interview. What I read into it NOW is this-
    Basically, IMHO, Byrne gave Tina(& the other Heads)the shaft. If he wanted some kinda production/Las Vegas "show", he shoulda left the band to do his thing(again, IMHO).
    Tina is happenin'(& how cool is it that Don Cherry was a neighbor of hers?! WOW!).

15. YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!
    I KNEW I wasn't the only person who liked her! I've brought her name up in every "Favourite bassist" poll and I was the only one to choose her.

I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!

ps:- Psycho Killer was the first song I learnt to play!

16. Yes, I have the album but it's not Talking Heads just The Heads (after David Byrne had left).

Personally I think the album sucked, I bought it on a whim. The best track is "Don't take my kindness for weakness" with Shaun Ryder of the Happy Mondays (IMHO).

17. Same boat until Aimee Man came along with Till Tuesday, didn't like the music much but they videos were pretty good with the sound off. :D

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No sir, I don't like her. If I didn't put her in the "Most Overrated Bassist" thread, I should have.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Munji - have you ever listened to "Fear of Music"? I just can't believe that anyone who is a bass player and hears that album can fail to be impressed.

It made a big impact on me as a bass player, when I first heard it.

20. YES! i was just listening to the fEar of music album and i loved the basslines! she really gets into the groove. does anyone know if the tom tom club released a new album?and what basses does Tina play?

-------------------------------------------------
    D-U-M-B everyones accusing me!

The Ramones