1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tinging/buzzing noise when pressing down on a fret.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by monkeyfool15, Oct 20, 2013.

1. monkeyfool15

monkeyfool15

Oct 20, 2013
    So my Musicman SUB bass came a couple of days ago and it's making annoying tinging noise when i press down on a fret. This makes it difficult to play hammer ons because it creates a metallic noise. My Ibanez i used before doesnt make any noises when i press down on a fret. Why is it doing this, and how much will it cost to repair it?

2. You probably have a high fret just above the one you're pressing.

Take a straight edge and check three frets at a time - even a credit card can work. If the card never rocks on any fret, they're level - if it rocks on any fret, that fret is high.

Any competent guitar tech can level frets.

Do yourself a favor and run some searches here on TB for "fret leveling" and "high fret" and you'll learn a lot about this.

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    One fret, or all of them? Have you had this bass set up?

As to why/how much, not enough information yet.

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Push the string to the side on the fret where it's making the noise. Look for a groove in the fret where the string would touch if you played it. If you have a groove there, that's going to make the next fret up cause the noise. It the same noise as having a high fret, but one is lower instead.

If you have a 6-string guitar around look at the second fret under the G string, and you'll probably see what I'm talking about.

Solutions:
    1) new fret
    2) raise the string a little
    3) live with it
    4) don't play that note