1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tingling hand(s)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by smadder, Jan 23, 2012.

1. smadder

smadder

Nov 13, 2004
    I wanted some advice before heading off to see a doctor.

I'm right handed and play electric right handed. Just over the past few weeks, I've noticed that after playing for over 30 minutes-ish at a stretch, my left (fretting) hand starts to tingle. It's like a "falling asleep" feeling. A tingling numbness that starts to get painful. It starts at my hand and crawls up my forearm at which point I usually stop playing for a while, shake my hand out and wait a while for it to go away before playing again.

I've tried stretching, different strap positions, different neck angles, and even sitting and standing, but it's still happening.

Anyone have any experiences like this or any advice/suggestions?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's carpal tunnel. See a doctor.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
  4. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    I'm not saying don't see a doctor, but when I play 1-2-3-4 I have the same problem. So I now use F. Simandl method 1-2-4 only covering 3 frets and I can play a few hours with no problems.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    See a doctor and do it as soon as you can.

6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    BINGO! :hyper:

And, if you transfer this 1-2-4 technique to fretless, you'll play much better in tune.

Just to be clear, one uses the third AND fourth fingers together, with this technique - and it's time-tested.

7. Depends. If it's the thumb, index and middle, it's probably carpal tunnel. If it's the ring and pinky, it's likely to be cubital tunnel (elbow). I've had both, with successful treatment of both.
    In either case see a doctor. I give you this information so that you can try and determine which fingers are affected, in order to better inform your doctor.

8. How straight is your left wrist? If it is bent while playing, you might try adjusting the strap and bass position so that your wrist is kept in a neutral position as much as possible.

Many of the repetitive stress type injuries are made worse by the wrist being in a non-neutral position during the repetitions.

9. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Playing with a lighter touch will really help you.

10. fangersnthumbs

fangersnthumbs

Jan 25, 2012
    Play through it

11. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    I had a similar thing in my right index finger, it would tingle and almost hurt when I stretch my arm out to my side, and even sometimes when I reached for things. I'm not sure whether my bass playing caused it as thats my strumming hand.

I googled it, as you do, and found the carpal tunnel syndrome stuff. I actually became quite paranoid about it. But as I tend to do, I avoided going to the doctor (Wouldn't recommend that) and it eventually just went away, so I'm not entirely sure what caused it. I know if you tweak nerves in your back it can affect nerves in your fingers etc. Obviously it cant hurt to see your GP, which is really what I should have done.

12. jsbachonbass

jsbachonbass

May 16, 2006
    Denton, TX
    NO,NO,NO! Go see an orthopedic doctor right away. I delayed seeing my doctor when I had some tingling in my right hand(pinky and 3rd finger). It wasn't until I noticed weakness and muscle atrophy between my thumb and first finger that I went to the doctor, and found out I had cubital tunnel syndrome(pinched nerve in elbow), and even though I had surgery to release it, I have some permanent weakness and muscle loss, and I am now having to readjust my right hand playing since my first finger is so weak. This all happened within a couple of months. Muscle atrophy can happen within 1 month of severe nerve compression.

13. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Going to the doctor, even if they treat all the symptoms effectively, means nothing unless you change your technique to something that is not hurting you. Check out this video below and really pay attention to the idea of "neutral position."

Developing Safe Left Hand Technique for Bass Guitar - YouTube

comatosedragon likes this.
  14. Worst.
    Advice.
    Ever.

15. Psycho

Psycho

Jun 24, 2008
    Make sure you aren't resting your arm on the upper body of the bass! Keep a good wrist angle too, just because it's comfy now doesn't mean it won't be later on.

16. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    If you have a type of job that is repetitive (carpenter, mechanic, typist, forklift operator,etc, etc.) chances are that is your root cause. I would seriously consider reporting the injury at work.
    I recently had TWO carpal tunnel surgeries, just 10 day apart from each other. I missed about a month of work, but now the pain and numbness is gone.
    The best part... the company paid!