Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tinnitus and Perfect Pitch

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wolf, May 13, 2004.

1. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    here's a thought (inspired by all those recent earplug threads) -
    if you know your ears ring at a constant F#, wouldn't that essentially turn your relative pitch into perfect pitch?

...only one way to find out... :bassist:

I mean,
    look at the bright side - you may have permanently damaged your ears, but you've found the perfect shortcut to perfect pitch! :D

anyone with some hands-on experience care to chime in?

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Uuuh, what did you say ?

I found that when I go to the guitar store, the random
    wanker noise gets interpreted by my brain differently.

I can't play with all the discord, it just hurts too much.

Edit: If no one else has said it yet, my sincerest welcome to
    Talkbass, you will like this great group of people.

Shalom!

3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Trust me, if you have it as bad as I do in my right ear, the last thing you think about is what note the ringing is at. I would compare it to closing your hand in the car door and wondering if your gloves would still fit!

4. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    While I HAVE been compared to a fellow member named Wulf, this is my first official welcome. I guess it's my fault for not introducing myself properly.

This truly is a noble bunch -
    thank you for your hospitality!

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You're also assuming that your tinnitus exists at exactly concert pitch F#. It's not as if you can walk up to some guy at a tinnitus convention and say,
    "Hey, man, what pitch?"
    "G#"
    "No way! I'm a G#, too!"
    ~high five~
    "Did you hear Gary got tinnitus?"
    "What's he got?"
    "B flat."
    "Oooh... bummer."

Tinnitus occurs at different frequencies in different people, and the statistical odds that you will end up with concert pitch tinnitus are between slim and none.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Indeed, then it would likely make it a lot harder to have effective relative or 'perfect' pitch.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Although, I have to say it was a good theory in terms of finding a silver lining. ;)

8. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    yeah, well, I try.... :smug:

9. I am getting closer to perfect pitch.

I know A, G, C, D, G#

So I can usually tune from those, and I am pretty close to perfect pitch 90% of the time.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know G (as in the open G string)...thats it though.

11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Most people that I know that have perfect pitch at Asian. this isn't a racist comment, but all Asian languages are tone based, and they also learn sol fege at a young age. IF you really want to get perfect pitch, practice with intervals to get relative pitch first.

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My ears definitely ring in E. I can sort of tune to it, especially if I rest my chin on my acoustic when I'm at home by myself, but when I'm getting my rig tuned up in a crowded bar I can't get everyone to shut up long enough for me to tune to my head.

13. danielsmusic

danielsmusic

Jun 20, 2012
    I don't think it matters what pitch your tinnitus registers (if it is indeed a fixed pitch and not just a white noise roar), the issue is whether or not your brain is subconsciously using it as a reference point for your perfect or absolute pitch.

14. Really? Major Asian languages that are not tone languages: Hindi-Urdu (325 million speakers), Malaysian (180 million), Indonesian (140 million), Japanese (127 million), Farsi/Persian (110 million), Korean (74 million), and there are many others. Also, Old Chinese spoken 2000 years ago, from which Mandarin, Cantonese, etc. descended, was *not* a tone language. Sorry, but I just need to dispel this huge misconception.

15. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    Uh... No. That's still relative pitch, because you hear the fsharp (or whatever) and relate the note to it.
    FWIW, I have Tinnitus at the moment due to a sinus... Thing and my ringing is A440. Useful for tuning actually. But still very annoying and hampering when it comes to everything else I need hearing for.
    EDIT: Woooaaahh, talk about resurrecting a necrothread! Saw the recent post and didn't realise. Sorry guys.

16. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I have tinnitus in both ears, 10 years now, it sucks.
    I can't emphasize how important it is to use ear plugs.
    $4000.00 for hearing aids and a daily nightmare.
    Even with new digital hearing aids my hearing is poor.
    My ringing is about 8000 Hz, 24/7 365 days a year.
    If it's too loud Do something about it.