1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tinnitus: What's your frequency

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokin' Toaster, Jul 24, 2012.

1. 13550.

I think my cats were annoyed with me while testing.

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Mine was 8821hrz in my left ear.

I used this site which is totally online and requires no downloading, if you're at work like I am.

3. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    12,000 Hz. No need to use the aforementioned site, I learned this back in January after a full workup at an audiologists office. Have pretty severe loss in my left ear especially, and can't tolerate noise above 73dB. Makes life miserable, well into my sixth year. Have custom earplugs, Bose noise cancelling headphones, etc., just to get by.

Sorry for the rant :mad:.

Chris

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Mine is around 13300. Don't let somebody fire a gun 5 feet from your head, kids....it'll do bad things to your brain....

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Approx. 8 Khz. both ears.
    What a nightmare to live with.
    Been wearing hearing aides for the last 4 years.
    I hate every guitar player I ever worked with, haha.

6. For some reason my sound card won't produce a tone higher than 4650hz. It sounds close to what my tinnitus sounds like, but I'd really have to get it tested by a professional audiologist.

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Huh?

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The ringing in your ears when in a silent/quiet environment. (if your ears do ring it means you have tinnitus). Basically it's conductive damage to your ears making the ringing that only you can hear.

I'll have to test mine in a bit!

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    lol I know, I was making a hearing loss joke.

I've had mine since I was born, so I dunno what I have ever been missing.

10. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    None. Always worn hearing protection. Thank god.

11. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I won't do this test. Never been diagnosed, so if I take it, then it'll probably give me a hypochondriac condition that hasn't been there since I switched on a mic as I was just feet in front of the PA (feedback; left ear rang for an entire day) as a teenager when playing with my garage band and a "my tone, man!" guitarist.

That's how it works, right?

MwQmB.

12. Square

Square

Apr 9, 2012
    Fresno
    About 6khz plus or minus a few from ear to ear and about 30-40db. It sucks!

13. +1000000

Been wearing ear plugs since my first rehersal with a drummer.

Been wearing -25db custom molded earplugs since i got serious about playing, around 8 years ago.

A couple hundred dollars is all you need to save your hearing, don't be cheap!

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Ear protection was little to no use standing behind a 108 going off in Ft Sill Ok.

Truth be told I imagine the Scorpions concert in my youth did most of the damage. I was front stage and couldn't hear worth a crap for a few days after that concert.

15. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I once worked security for the Rockstar Metal show. 2009, I stood in front of Slayer's wall of subwoofers. I was sick to my stomach after Angel of Dæth. Had ear protection, but just some foam plugs. Better than nothing.

16. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Mine appears to be 8.9khz, though it is hard for me to tell (mine is probably a mixture of frequencies).
    Damn 1000k of Silverstone Le Mans event that I forgot to take earplugs to because I wasn't worried about my hearing. I now use ear plugs at all loud events.

17. The summer after I graduated High School (1976) I worked on a construction crew building pre-fab houses. I was one of two people on the crew who hadn't done time in prison, either state pen or the juvenile state pen. One day after the 4th of July holiday we were waiting for the truck with the house parts to arrive, and I was napping on the slab in the shade. I heard a ssssssss and just as I was about to turn my head a firecracker went off inches from my ear. I think that did some real damage. I guess I'm lucky Mitch Murphy, the young felon who did it was skinnier and faster than me, because for about two minutes i was 100% committed to burying my straight-claw framing hammer's claw as deep into his skull as my arm strength would allow. Then there would only have been one member of the crew who hadn't done prison time. Thank goodness I simmered down. I later heard that he was shot in the leg by police as he was trying to get away from them after robbing a Pizza Hut. I'm sure my tax dollars are supporting him as he rots in Holman Prison. As long as he's miserable I'm OK with that.

18. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Mine is about 2000. I use custom earplugs when I'm going to concerts and festivals. With a lot of festivals, I end up being right up against the stage because I'm taking photos of the band, so those earplugs are a lifesaver. Although I think my tinnitus isn't from damage from loud noises, but from other sources.

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I have known for a long time that my left ear isn't as sensitive as my right and when I had my hearing tested in the late '80s, this was verified. My left was pretty flat WRT normal sensitivity and my right was more sensitive than normal in the mid-range. FF to last week and I got a letter from a hearing center, offering a free test with otoscopic inspection of the ear canal, hearing screening and to see if I'm a candidate for hearing aids. I don't really need them, but I wanted a new baseline. The day after I got the letter, my left ear felt like it went nuts from the time I woke up- it feels like it's full of water and slightly swollen. This AM, I took a shower and it tool forever to get the water out. Hopefully, this doesn't mean it's perforated but when I called, I listened to the phone with my left ear (something I never do) and it definitely has less sensitivity in the upper mid-range. Might be infected. I think I'll take a decongestant.

My test is on Aug 22nd.