Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Hey Fellas...

I went to a show Saturday...and I am almost sure I ahev Tinnitus.

(ringing/buzzing in the ears)

it's usually blocked out by other sounds...but when it's dead silent,I hear it..

It's scaring the crap outta me.

Its hard to sleep hearing the constant ringing...

anyone know any precautions?

anyone have this?

can I get rid of it?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Precautions? Use earplugs!

Can you get rid of it? Well, hopefully this is just a temporary shock whilst your ears are recovering, but everytime you hear this ringing after a concert for example, you have damaged your ears permanently.

Earplugs, earplugs EARPLUGS!

I went to a loud concert the other day, with my trusty ER-20 and I did not regret it! After the concert I just took them out and no ringing, just plain ol´ good hearin´!

Got my earplugs from Mike Dimin, he´s a TB regular and a good guy to deal with!

Go buy now!

P.s. The good thing about the ER-20 is that they reduce the volume evenly across the frequencies.
    The best thing of course is to go to an ENT (ear, nose, throat) and have custom earplugs. Those are expensive but worth it.
  3. I've had it for many years (drummer). Knowing you have it is very important. Go and get checked out by a doctor ASAP. Currently there is nothing that can be done for it. It may "lessen" a bit, but it will always be there. The most important thing is to take care of the hearing that you have left. Use hearing protection when you play, mow the yard, use loud power tools, etc.

Here is a list of some threads that have dealt with it.
  4. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    uhhh.... EARPLUGS? duh.

I didn't always wear earplugs. I felt stupid. But you know what feels worse? Having some hearing loss, and having my ears ring all the freakin time, even when it's not super quiet.

yeah. earplugs.
  5. well,I do not goto concerts regulary...and the ones I goto are local...so,next time one is coming up...i'll buy some Hearo's...they're only like a dollar..so,can't go wrong.

I hope.

Lets see,I had this ringing since the show on saturday,is there a chance it could go away?

(P.S - I only have a 10 watt amp)

I am not usually around loud things,and the mower is nothing...
  6. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    yes, it'll most likely go away.

7. how long we talkin' here?
    (until it goes away)

I hope you're right !:oops:

EDIT: I didn't notice your name...
  8. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I dunno, tomorrow? The next day? The damage has already been done...

My mom has worn hearing aids since she was in her mid 30's, I think. She got nerve damage from listening to loud concerts and loud music in her living room. I go to more loud shows and jams in a month than she probably has during her whole life. Meaning she didn't do much to mess up her ears. But every time you can't hear after a show, or your ears are ringing for a few days, it means that there was some damage.

I knew all this, but only started wearing earplugs 2 years ago. :confused: I don't know what to tell you. I haven't been to an audiologist since I was 13 or something. There was already some high frequency loss them. I'm afraid to find out how bad my ears really are.

What I'm trying to say is don't be stupid like me. Some people are more susceptible to damage than others.

In the meantime, caffeine, cigarettes, and weed make the ringing worse for me, so maybe avoid that stuff.
  9. The ringing should go away in a few days - if not go see a doc/audiologist. Then again, you may have picked up an ear infection...

As to the earplugs, I believe that the Hearos and ER-20 earplugs are one and the same! From your musiciansfriend list I'd suggest the Earwear earplugs, as their description closely matches the ER-20s. I seem to remember Mike's being cheaper.....

Anyway, I've bought several sets for the band from Mike, no problems. And they are fantastic at gigs. Recently went to see Therapy? and Whitesnake 1 week apart, wore them both times - no ringing for me!:)
  10. ok,great!

I will be more cautious and wear earplugs next time...

thanks alot guys for your input.

I hope this goes away. :(

well,I might goto GC this week(end) to see there selection.

i'd hate to pay 5 bucks shipping for $1.00 ear plugs...:meh:
  11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  12. that is definitely not true. they cut the extreme high end (i.e. cymbal crashing) dramatically. but, i think this is actually better than even volume reduction.
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It's called a search , buddy.

There is a two page thread on this already, and you could have found it,,, if.....you.....

14. I'm sorry...I can't hear you;)
  15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Not entirely maybe, but they do a damn good job for the money! (10$ a pair)

16. Start wearing ear plugs.

Ive got tinnitus all the time, and ive had hearing tests showing the upper register of my hearing range is badly damaged. No good :(
  17. Wear ear plugs or you won't be able to enjoy music later on. Between shooting, going to lots of concerts, and being in bands I would have been deaf as a post years ago without ear plugs.