Tinny sound from the G-string on my Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by randomname, Jan 17, 2003.

1. randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    It's bizarre. All 4 low strings on my Stingray 5 are so deep and powerful, but when I play any note on the G-string, all bottom end disappears and it doesn't cut though the rest of the band. I find myself playing the same notes further up the neck on the D string, which kind of defeats the point of having a 5 string to begin with.

The string and pickup height have been properly adjusted, so I don't think that's the problem. I tend to use Elite strings (partly cos I can get 2 sets for £30, rather than the usual £20-25 each).

Does anyone else have this problem with their 'Ray (or for that matter, any other bass). Is it inherent in the design?

Oh, and it's an '89 model, so it's got the older alnico pup.

2. You might check the nut, and the bridge for proper contact.
  3. holderman

May 25, 2000
    AFAIK it's a very common problem with Stingrays.
    Personally I take care of it with DR Hi-Beams and a boost at 150Hz.
  4. lowbass

May 4, 2002
    Another vote for DR Hi-Beams, solve the problem alright. Before that, I only achieved some improvement via lowering the string closer to the pickup.
  5. Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    I use to have the same problem and found out what I was doing wrong. If your like me when you play your G string you are probably not aware that you are probably playing right up on the bridge. What I did to solve my problem is to try to play the G string on the front side of the pup instead of playing to close to the bridge. Hope that helps...:confused:
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If it dosen't sound right, then maybe it's not proper for your bass. Each bass is slightly different intheir own way. I'd try:

1st adjust the pickup. Lower the bass side slightly & raise the trebble side slightly.

If that dosen't work, adjust the actions slightly differntly, raise the bass side & lower the trebble. Don't do it so drasticlly. Just slight adjustments.

It also might have something to do with how you adjust your amp. Play around with the tone comtrols of the amp & bass. Bring the lows down sliughtly & raide the hi's.

Hope this helps. :)
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I play a 'ray 5 and don't have have this problem. But I have noticed that this will occur some of my previous basses if I used really light guage strings.
  8. ozellman

Jan 6, 2003
    I also play an SR5 and I don't have that problem. I use Status Hotwires, round cores, 40-125 and they sound excellent. All my strings (including the G) can be heard at my website, http://www.ozell.tk.

Try setting the EQ flat on the bass and on the amp and check if you get the same problem. Frequently, problems like your appears as side effects of smiley EQ curves.

The same or similar problems exist with other individual instruments of models from other makers as well. I recently played a Fender Victor Bailey signature model and the E string had significantly lower output than the others. I'm sure it's not the model but rather the bass that I happened to try.

9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or, you could just get rid of it. Not that I could ever go without a G string, but hey, those wacky kids do everything. I actually saw a Schecter bass that was designed BEAD. How a guy gets by without the G is a mystery.
  10. randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    Cheers for the replies. I guess I'm going to have to play around with pickup/string heights and eq.
    Actually, I used to have a bass tuned BEAD and then the octave D. Sounded crazy, so may try that again.