Tinting Danish Oil?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wolak, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Can you do it with an oil based stain or is some other specialized pigment needed.
  2. I
    I'd love to know that too asap. :) I the process of oiling the back of my p bass and can't find a lot of info about this.
  3. Must mix some dye in there to match the vintage nitro finish.

Attached Files:

4. Due to lack of useful info I had to improvise! I poured some Danish oil into a small jar and added about half inch of Indian Yellow oil paint straight from a tube! After mixing it together until all the paint bits gone tinting the oil I just wiped it on the back of the neck letting it dry for 12 hours before the next coat. Don't make it too dark because each time it'll get little darker. Oil paint is simply pigment mixed with linseed oil and it's mixes beautifully with any oil! I had 3 untinted coat of Danish on it already and now the second tinted coat already telling me that Vintage amber color like the rest of the nitro finished neck would be achieved after the next 4-7 coat applied! Then few more clear coat and some finishing wax and happy days! In a week I'll post some pictures of the finished neck!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  5. Guess I could say that yes you can tint Danish Oil! As I said any oil paint from art shops simply perfect ready tint! I ended up mixing a little orange in with Indian yellow to get the colour you see on the picture! Almost perfect. 1 more tinted coat and 2-3 clear then wax, job done! The only advice I must stress is try to get fast drying paint that has Alkyd in it! I also used little Alkyd medium in my mix. Alkyd cuts down oxidisation time! Basically dries fast and apparently the finish slightly harder. Wiping on with a cloth like old tshirt means that the layer is thin as, so no need for sanding in between coats. I sanded after every 3 layers using 600 then 800 and 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper using linseed oil as lubricant.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  6. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Littleton, CO
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    I have used "artist paints" to tint Tru Oil with great success. Great tip on the alkyd! Good job man!
    timobee4 likes this.