tiny amps, itty bitty ones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Apr 28, 2001.

1. ok, i recently started a thread about acoustics for jammin, i was told they arent loud enough...so i want a itty bitty teeny amp that has enough power and sounds good through a bass, somthing extremely small, like a pig nose or those cool little smokey amps(i'm told by another member that they sound bad with a bass)

so which ones work for bass, and how much is it gonna cost me...thanks
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Pretty much no "itty bitty" amp will work for bass, IME, because they really are too small. An "itty bitty" speaker will distort too easily and not produce any satisfying amount of bass frequencies. The smallest I would go is an 8" combo, but that is not an "itty bitty" amp, just "small". :)

Well, REALLY "itty bitty" would be a headphone amp... but that's kind of useless if you're going to jam with somebody. ;)
  3. haha thanks man, i geuss itsa back to lookin for me!
  4. I occasionaly use a Park 10 watt guitar combo for front room jamming (the guitarist uses one of those Marshall mini half stacks...you know, the one's you can put in your pocket). I think they now give them away free with MacDonalds...

It is easily portable, and so on and so forth, but sounds like cr@p. We onlu use it whe we have to work out songs very quietly and the kids are asleep and I really can't be bothered to carry my BXR25 around. In other words, when I need to leave the thing under my desk at work.....
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well in your profile it says you have a Dean Markley practice amp thing. Why not just use that? Like Oysterman said you're probably not gonna be able to get a good sound out of a itty bitty amp. I was going to suggest getting a practice amp such as a Peavey Microbass but since you already have one just stick with the Dean Markley.
  6. From your previous thread it sounds like you need a battery powered amp that way you can go anywhere you want to go without a need for a socket. The Pignose 30 mentioned earlier is made for bass and keyboards and is battery powered. The Fender amp can is battery powered and is made for guitar and vocals but it may our may not work well on bass.
  7. thanks all, well first i'm gonna try to find an acoustic that can compete with acoustic guitars, just to make sure cause some say they cant, some say they can! if not i'll look into the pignose, thanks a lot all!
  8. have you checked out the swr workingman 1x10T?

its bigger than a pignose but I think they are pretty cool for their size, I would love one just for practicing around the house _they go for about $500 canadian.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    ok if you really want an itty bitty teeny amp, then do a search at www.bassplayer.com for best combo amp for under $200. They did reviews on itty bitty teeny bass amps your talking about. I think Peavey had the best results from the 5-10 they chose. Hope this helps you in your quest. Mind if I ask why you want an amp so small?
  10. sure cassanova, i was actually trying to go for no amp at all just an acoustic guitar, cause recnetly i was in a very small jam situation, just a bunch of us sitting in a circle singin blind melon with an acoustic guitar and a hand drum(klong yaw) it was a blast and i wanted to be able to take part with a bass, some people have told me an acoustic cant hold up against acoustic guitars, some say they can, so i'm gonna try the acoustics at stores with a guitar friend there to help. if i cant find a good acoustic i'll start trying to pick out a really small amp, cause i want stuff to take up minimum space.

thanks for your advice

11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Two words -- air motion. You need a lot of it to properly produce bass sound and specifically volume.

That's why bass fiddles are so big. It's why bass amps are so big.

And it's why acoustic bass guitars typically can't compete with acoustic guitars -- they just aren't big enough.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to shed some light on the phenomenon.

A small amp for low-volume situations is a good idea. But if you've got to use an amp anyway, you might just as well forget about the acoustic bass guitar and use your electric.
  12. i know i know, it sucks everybodys been telling me, why cant bass need less freakin air!!
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    IMO, the Acoustic Image combo is the best of the midget amps for this kind of thing. It'll set you back about 600 clams, though.
  14. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Well, it's a physics thing. I just found a really neat website that addresses the problem:

To quote, "Loudness is NOT simply sound intensity!"

Essentially, the human ear discriminates against bass frequencies. In other words, for two sounds of equal power, the lower frequency will be less perceived than the higher frequency sound. This effect is accentuated by distance-- the further away from the source, the less energy all soundwaves have. And since everything is effectively quieter, its even harder to hear the bass.

The most perceived frequencies are at 3-4kHz, which is about the frequencies that the ear canal resonates.

In other words, at a distance, to hear the bass, you've have the bass turned way up to begin with. Either that, or genetically engineer humans with greater capacity to perceive lower frequencies.

15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I use to have an accoustic bass, it was an Applause, not the best of them out there, but over all it had a decent tone and was able to keep up with unamplified acoustic guitars very well.

I do think however that youd be better off getting something a bit bigger than one of those gorilla style amps, but if thats what you really want then by all means go for it.
  16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have a 12w guitar amp (not bass) with a 6.5" speaker that actually sounds pretty good... I replaced the guitar amp speaker with a 6.5" auto woofer. I just looked for something that claimed to handle low frequencies. It's a open back combo amp and about 10" high, 8" wide and 6" deep. If you don't mind spending cashola and experimenting... you might get something good.
  17. thanks a lot all, i'm gonna try acoustics first with a friend, go around to stores, then if i have to i'll try out small amps, and that might be a good idea GBROOKS but i'm not very good with electronics at all so..:( haha

anyways wish me luck with the acoustics!