1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tiny bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ficelles, May 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ficelles

ficelles SUSPENDED

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Looking for a tiny bass cab, minimum rating 100 watts, don't care what size the driver is but the cab needs to be no bigger than a 12" cube or maybe 12" x 12" footprint but a bit taller would be ok... is there anything out there? Would also be nice if it didn't have rat fur but I can always recover...

Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
  3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    Phil Jones makes some pretty small ones.

4. I keep eyeing the Peavey Max 112 in my local store. 200W, one-handable, and economical. My current smallest amp is a three-hand lift 15" combo. Overkill for anything less than a full tilt cover band. I really should look at trading...

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    What are your volume requirements, and what's your budget?

Barefaced One10 gets a lot of love and is not much larger than a cubic foot: Barefaced Bass - One 10

GK MBX 112 is even smaller than the Barefaced: MBX 112 Specs

Last but not least, I don't think you can get much tinier than the Acoustic Image Upshot: Acoustic Image

Levin, tekhedd, yodedude2 and 2 others like this.
  6. I was going to suggest talking to Alex at Barefaced too. He’s in your neck of the woods after all. :)

alaskaleftybass and Plutonium244 like this.
  7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Barefaced One10 is 15" x 11.5" x 11" and fifteen pounds. Rates at 250+ watts so exceed OP requirement of 100W. Really great sounding little cab. Not cheap at 349 GBP. Worth it if you can swing it.

Barefaced Bass - One 10

cjlembo likes this.
  8. ficelles

ficelles SUSPENDED

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Some great suggestions but so far probably higher end than I need... I’m tempted to pick up a Peavey Piranha 1x8 and swap the driver :)

armyadarkness likes this.
  9. ficelles

ficelles SUSPENDED

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    That Acoustic Image Upshot is interesting... there was a small volume maker selling similar cabs on eBay a while back but he seems to have gone quiet.

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Not a crazy idea if your volume needs are modest. I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those tiny Orange cabs, for late night jamming along with the radio. ;)

11. ficelles

ficelles SUSPENDED

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Idea... empty drum shell, spare 8” driver...

:)

12. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I use an old Genz Benz Shuttle 8T cab. It was part of a Shuttle 3.0 combo but the store sold the head and not the speaker or brackets. A friend modded it so mine now has a single speakon jack on the top. Thing is TINY and after 18 months since the mod and 3+ years with the cab, I'm still finding out all the places I can use it instead of my 1x12 Markbass.

carl h. and revroy like this.
  13. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Gallien Krueger MB150 extension cab is what your looking for. I have one. It's 100wts.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

XS 112 Classic - TecAmp

bassbooty likes this.
  15. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I would also take a look at the stated sensitivity of any speaker you're considering. Most people only look at how many watts a speaker will handle, but what you're really interested in is how much output it will deliver with a given input power.
    Like other things with bass gear, it can be difficult to do meaningful comparisons because a number of manufacturers don't state this specification, and for some of the products that state output capability (whether continuous, program or peak power), the numbers are overstated.

16. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I built a cab from a kick drum shell and installed an Eminence 15" neodymium driver in it. Very simple construction that I thought was at least in the ballpark for the spec, but an utter sonic failure. It created all sorts of odd frequencies, even after lining all the interior. Tried it sealed, then added a port. Still sucked.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Gabbs, mobdirt and yodedude2 like this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I don't suppose you happened to ask... Tiny Elvis... hmmm, did you?

8308c35fb3a523a59649e3218037e4f1bafc0c8999791d4c068a6835fcf568c2.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  18. ficelles

ficelles SUSPENDED

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Sonic failure in terms of unwanted resonance? I was thinking of going much smaller, so an 8" or 10" driver in an old tom or snare shell...

19. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Here's a different design for a floor tom based cabinet that I didn't try building. Shared it with someone on this forum who has distanced themselves from me since then. I think we toyed with using a cymbal as the sliding baffle and that it could be closed up to protect the driver during transport . I don't know where these ideas come from.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Jones64 likes this.
  20. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    +1 for the Barefaced One10. I've had one for a couple years and have used it at a ton of rehearsals, jams, smaller gigs. Super easy to carry, especially if you have stairs, etc. Everyone should have one. Fits in the trunk of my Miata.

jim nolte and Plutonium244 like this.