Tiny Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 13, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    EatS1stBassist and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Check them out.

DJ Bebop, JRA and jeff7bass like this.
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IME the tinier the combo, the more you have to spend to get decent sound at anything more than spoken word volume. I have the pricier PJB Double 4 that's a marvel, but have seen some -ve reviews of the micro 7 (which I have never played). I'd be more inclined to go with an 8" GK box unless you really gotta have a shoe box size. I have that tiny GK unit and it sounds very good....under 20 lbs....plenty loud enough for acoustic jams/djembe, but as big as 2 shoe boxes :)

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I love it when a reviewer says his cable is specially made for bass, because then I know he's a maven who's givin' it straight up:). I'd like to hear from some folks who have actually played these and are not in the "reviewing for clicks" game.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This will strictly be a practice unit. I don’t need it to be loud.

lomo likes this.
  6. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I haven't tried either of those. I do have a GK MB150 that I sometimes use for upright gigs. It sounds alright with the upright but i think it sounds really good with electric. Too bad GK seems to have discontinued the Microbass line.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I have a Hartke HD25 which gets really loud and clean for 129 bucks. Built solid.

mikewalker, logdrum, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Get yourself a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 docked on a Genz 8" Shuttle speaker.

You will be surprised.

They're available used, but not cheap.

srayb, SteveC, DJ Bebop and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That’s life. Genuinely good stuff is rarely cheap.

Jeff Scott, tindrum, dkelley and 4 others like this.
  10. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Bass needs to have some oomph and move some air.

Those little amps just don't get it done.

11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Practice where, Doc?

If it’s a small office at work and you’re just jamming along with your phone as discretely as possible, the $60 Joyo amp is about the same size as a lunchbox and sounds -fine- at that volume in a small room.

If it’s someplace locked up that no janitor has access to, that Phil Jones character gets tons and tons of rave reviews on all of his products here- I imagine this little combo is as well regarded.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. I've tried the Vox in a store and remember it having quite a thin sound. I have a Laney RB2 that I prefer.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is mainly. home practice. I have a headphone amp already

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Much better now than before. I can jam with my stereo on loud, shaking walls loud, with my Hartke and it does not distort, even with the bass knob at 3/4's, where it sounds full.

15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i recommend the hartke HD15. it is tiny for a bass amp, and it has something none of the other tiny or small amps i've used/tried have - a surprising amount of actual low end. it's almost like it defies physics.

and it's under $100.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That sounds like a winner!:)

tindrum, DJ Bebop and DTRN like this.
  17. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    PJ double 4 sounded good to me on YouTube comparisons. I would check that out if you can. I don't believe it has a headphones jack if you care about that but it can also be run from a laptop battery. It's small but sounded way better than other tiny combos.

18. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    For home practice I had a Rumble 25 borrowed from a friend, now I use a GK MB 110 for home and gigs where I just need a monitor.

Realistically for home almost anything is OK as long as you can dial up a good sound.

19. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    No experience with tiny amps, but I did try older Fender Rumble 30 and it sounded nice.
    In your shoes, I would go a bit bigger and get something that can be used for rehersal or even small gig, like combo with 12" and 100W (GK, Fender, or any).

Low8 likes this.
  20. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I have a Line6 Studio 1-10. Great little amp.
    I’ve used it on gigs with an acoustic piano.
    Also used it at choral rehearsals— 75 vocalists, piano, bass, drums. I use a 1-12 combo with FOH support for their gigs.
    If I needed to purchase a tiny, usable amp
    now, I’d check out the Elf combos.

Road Hat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021