1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tiny pedal vs. huge all tube stack: Ampeg Classic Analog Bass Preamp pedal vs. a real SVT...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mik75, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    ...how close does it get, soundwise?
    Watch and hear me playing the superb Classic Analog Bass Preamp pedal by Ampeg.
    Is it really THE Ampeg sound in a small, convenient pedal size?
    Well, let´s find out! ;-)

Please excuse the camera being out of focus sometimes.
    Thx a lot for watching.
    I´m looking forward to your impressions and opinions!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Excellent playing! The way you set them, it's fairly close, but I definitely found the 2 Pro richer sounding. Still, for a hundy, the Classic is pretty good.

3. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Thx a lot for watching and commenting! :)
    TBH, I was shocked at how good the preamp pedal sounds! The Ultra Lo seems to be more usable and better sounding on the real SVT, and the amp also adds that bit of compression that makes you feel very comfy while playing, but all in all, the pedal is a perfect solution for these ampless IEM situations!
    All the best!

quickervicar and JimmyM like this.
  4. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Nice demo! I’ve been using the “big brother” Ampeg SCR DI for all IEM at practice and recording, it works great and sounds amazing. I do agree in live gig situations nothing beats an amp/ cab on stage...especially an Ampeg tube amp! Over the past year I’ve been using the SCR DI in my pedal chain to add dirt and send a Signal to the house in front of my tube amp/ cab. It’s worked great but thinking about going old school again and running straight into my amp and putting a mic on the cab.

Wisebass, Mik75 and JimmyM like this.
  5. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Sure, moving air can’t be substituted. ;-)
    And personally, I think that amp and speaker sound is just as important for the overall Electric Bass sound as the guitar itself.
    Therefore, I’ve used a combination of DI and mic signal in my demo (for the SVT part). And I find it remarkable, how close the Classic Analog Bass Preamp gets, soundwise. And it reacts so good to dynamic changes in the playing!
    But just to be clear, whenever the situation allows, I bring my SVT stack! ;-)
    Thx a lot for the kind words, glad you’ve enjoyed it!

JimmyM likes this.
  6. I've been using an SCR-DI, into a quilter BB800, and SVT810. Amazing just how close it comes to a "real" SVT (and about 75lbs lighter at the amp end of things)!

The Classic has the tone stack goodness and that Ampeg "mojo" going! My tone lies in the region of SCR with the Scrambler engaged at 50% territory- not overdriven like the stand-alone, but more of a creamy midrange "grind" or "growl" that the real deal VT head could into.

Nice playing, BTW!

Mik75 likes this.
  7. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Yeah, when using my SCR DI the scrambler is always engaged, drive @ 40% with the blend @ 50% it really seems to fit well in the mix having that bit of dirt.

basscapes, Mik75 and JimmyM like this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Me, I prefer the separate Scrambler pedal, but IMHO it's a terrific and very underrated circuit that is not all that far off from turning an Ampeg tube amp up to the crazy zone.

Mik75 and jdubbass38 like this.
  9. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    If I remember correctly, does the new stand alone scrambler pedal have more knobs to dial the dirt?

JimmyM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well it's got 4...drive, blend, volume and treble. But what I like about it is that unlike the Scrambler circuit in the SCR and BA amps, you don't have to add in extra bass or blend to get the bass response in line with your clean sound. Not an issue for you when you leave it always on, but I do turn mine off now and then, although it seems I'm doing it less and less these days.

jdubbass38 and Mik75 like this.
  11. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Hmmm, seems like I’ll have to give the Scrambler a try as well, anytime soon!
    Thx a lot for watching and commenting, guys! :)

Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  12. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Both sound really nice in this demo.
    For me, the sound of a tube amp in the room along with the natural compression and the tactile differnce of a tubes is the bigger difference. Something about the high end from tubes that is never harsh or strident is also appealing. The big fat mid is not always the same as a SS amp.

Question: Anybody know what the center frequency on the mid control is on the pedal as well as the bandwith? Curious to know if it is similar to the amp. Love me some SVT mid selector with different cabinets or rooms?

rodl2005 and Mik75 like this.
  13. Similar- mine is 50% Drive and Blend. Sounds great with my Yamaha, but sounds INCREDIBLE with my P-bass.

Mik75 likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    500 hz.

Mik75 likes this.
  15. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks; perfect spot.
    OK kids, let's say you wanted a pedal to put in front of a GK RB1001 and make it sound a little like your SVT.
    Ampeg preamp or Linden?
    I'm talking clean but tell me if the VT is in the running for tone.
    TIA

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Had both at one time. Both are very sweet. Flip a coin. And yes, the VT is always in the running for tone, although it's a bit more obvious than the Linden or Classic. Has speaker simulation and dirt capabilities.

Jim C likes this.
  17. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    not even close. the amp/cab sounds very different. the DI with more hpf and lpf maybe could get close but based on those clips i'd take the amp every time.

dralionux likes this.
  18. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Thx for you opinion!
    The amp/cabinet combination is better, more vivid and a bit more dynamic. And it becomes even more evident, if you’re running it on higher volumes, and when you add more of the miked speaker signal to the mix.
    But it’s about having a practical solution when playing small venues (or things like musicals), or if you have to use IEM. I don’t want to miss my SVT sound in these cases, and I think, the Ampeg pedal does a great job! :)

rodl2005, Jim C and JimmyM like this.
  19. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    I’ve got my Scrambler today. I’ll do a review video of this pedal next week.
    But after testing it, together with the Classic Analog Bass Preamp, for 60 minutes, I can already say, that I totally love this combination! :)
    Stay tuned for more! 38C6D062-71B6-43D1-8139-CCED412BAC64. BF45CEA7-6622-4869-8F07-5491E2B0ACEC.

JimmyM and Jim C like this.
  20. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Recently bought the Scrambler to add some vintage OD. Love how it sits in the mix. And you can regulate the amount of drive by how much you dig in. Nice to set the dials and let your fingers dictate the level.

JimmyM, Kro and Mik75 like this.