Tiny pedals (1590A pedals)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigBeatNut, Dec 10, 2011.

1. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    oh, I also have a Guyatone micro flanger. The bypass is a tone sucker and the sweep can be heard prominently even when not playing. BUT, the flange sounds excellent, upfront, cutting, and noticable.
    This is my fourth flanger. I like the flanger sound of the Guyatone better than the Maxon FL9, EHX stereo electric mistress, and EBS unichorus.
    Flanger is rarely used effect so it's nice that the size of the pedal reflects the frequency of how often the effect is used.

jmg3644 likes this.
  2. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Thanks for the explanation.

Good to know, particularly as they claim the comp is good for bass too.

3. One negative for this form factor: they can be "tippy" on a pedal board. I have the standard velcro attachment, but the softness of the fuzz on the board allows this little guy to tip side-to-side when you stomp on it. Not a problem when it's on it's rubber feet on a hard surface floor, but on the pedal board definitely noticeable, at least for me. Wider "normal" FX, even of the MXR-sized and certainly the Boss-sized don't have this lateral stability problem as they are much wider than they are tall. The only negative I've encountered on this form factor.

4. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Using this as a connector would help the stability though, wouldn't it ?

[​IMG]

Saves on spacing too compared to most connectors.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, the fact that those don't flex means when your foot moves the pedal, the jack is what has to flex--so the jacks will quickly get ruined.

6. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Ahhh. Thank you.

7. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    definitely loving this thread

8. For my next pedal board I'm going to go w/ zip ties instead of hook and loop. I think the EP boost will be fine stability-wise if sitting on the hard surface of a board as I have no trouble with the EP boost on the floor. The thing is so stingy on power I have yet need to swap out the original 9 V.

Plus sometimes I don't want to bring the whole board, just one or two pedals, and having the hook or loop stuck on bottom makes the pedals painful on a hard floor. Also, in the summer I have had issues with the glue on the hook material stuck on the back of my pedals softening up and the pedals "run" down the sticky stuff, and then it hardens back up off-center. Just somewhat a mess.

So anyway I'm hoping zip ties will solve a lot of issues at once.

9. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    I love the EWS BMC, especially with 18v going through it.

I also have the [sfx] microThumpinator, and I love what it does for my speakers, and my low end.

10. I've added the EWS Little Brute Drive to the list.

11. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Looks like Max (sfx) is working on a prototype compressor ... look forward to that :)

12. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    What are those and where can I get one? I'd love to squeeze another MXR-sized box onto my Pedaltrain Nano.

13. You want to ruin your jacks and thus wreck your pedals? See post 25, I've included it below.

14. Still micro, still cool...

ToneButcher – three, thus far.

Pocketpus

WeeWah

Adverb

15. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Aha ... been looking for soundclips of the SFX Red Dragon ... found some here, along with Black Dragon and some more (bigger) pedals.

16. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    It isn't as small as some of these but the Eden WTDI is worth mentioning for what you get in that size--an Eden preamp in the form of a small-footprint pedal!

17. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Neat! I'm curious to hear more about these.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Andy how's the B^3? What's it capable of? Where, if at all, does it fall short please? I imagine it would be useful as a boost.

19. aidzf

aidzf

Sep 30, 2011
    'would love to hear some clips on this one. How does it sound using a passive P or J-bass with no other effects? :confused:

20. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I don't have any clips to share (yet). But for me it's a great 'warm-up' pedal. The way I use it, it's at unity gain (9 o'clock so plenty more boost to be had), scoop engaged, and tone between about 7-10 o'clock . The tone works (to my ears) like a passive tone control between 7 and 12, and from 12 to 5 it adds treble progressively. I think (and Max might correct me here) that it's similar in effect to the tone control in a Big Muff. The scoop is (again I think) around 800-1000 Hz.

Set like I have it, it's a very appropriate warm-up before a solid-state amp (Markbass CMD112P).

It's possible there's a bit of FET (valve-like) colouration in there, not really sure, all I can say is it works great for me.

I'll see if I can find time to record some clips.

Andy

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021