Tiny pedals (1590A pedals)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigBeatNut, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
  2. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO Inactive

May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    The WeeWah seems like it could be a lot of fun. The demos on that site could be a little better. The Pocketpus video was about 20 seconds long. Neat stuff though.

3. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    FWIW, seems the Mythfx Triton gets the thumbs up for bass.

[​IMG]

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  4. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    JHS do a tiny fuzz. (Spotted on amazon)

41AdtO9rbAL._AA300_.jpg

No idea of it's suitability for bass at the moment.

5. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    +1 for the Xotic EP Booster; I use it on all the time for subtle signal shaping. I bought it off our guitarist, who was replacing one of his two EPs with another similar mini pedal. At some point I may use it for a boost, but right now its always on.

6. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Well, this is a bit of a contrast to what's been said about malekko previously in this thread.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just yesterday acquired the Malekko Comp. Haven't tested it yet, but will tomorrow, and I'll post my preliminary thoughts then.

8. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Looking forward to that :)

9. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Clip on tuners are getting so small now ...

[​IMG]

I'm suprised no-one is doing a pedal in the same form factor. I suppose if clip-on works on your instrument, no need for it to clutter up your pedal board ... but I'm kind of skeptical about them working well for bass as a clip-on.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    OK, bad news, the Malekko Comp cuts way too much low end. It's about -6 dB at 50 Hz and -12 dB at 30 Hz. Now, for some people that's still OK, like if they play only 4-stringers and tend to cut the lows on their amp anyway, for e.g. a Jaco tone. But it also cuts highs! -6 dB at 2 KHz, -12 dB at 5 KHz. The good news is, it's very small, and has a cute sparkly red paint job.

11. I was looking at this and it says you can add "3DB of gain" with the DIP settings. How noticeable is it? I use a Phat Phuk B with the trim set to break up a little when engaged. It gives me a nice tube growl, especially when using my P-bass.

I assume the PPB would give more gain, but I'm curious to know how they stack up with that little bit of gain added. I love boost pedals.

12. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Talkbass challenge:
    Get as many of these pedals along with the 1/4-1/4 (no cable) connectors and form a circular pedal board!
    Someone here will try it....

13. You are a genius

14. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Shame. Looks like the alternatives are either waiting for the [sfx] one to be out of prototype stage or else this:

orangesq1.jpg

from Daniel Zink

15. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Bongo, I'm interested in doing this kind of analysis myself, for the pedals I have, to try and get a better understanding of the things that work for me. I guess I need to get myself a copy of TrueRTA (?) and an audio interface. Any hints on what to look out for in an Audio interface for this purpose ? I have a bass POD XT but I can't see a way to use it for this purpose, it doesn't have the direct out from the computer.

Sorry for the OT post, everyone else.

Andy

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The PodXT is not an audio interface for your computer, and even if it had a USB output, it is a low-fidelity device that is not suitable for analyzing other devices.

Right now I am using an Echo MIAMIDI which is in PCI card format, and it works flawlessly. So if you wanted a stand-alone unit I'd suggest Echo's Audiofire2. I've also owned a few Presonus converters, but they all ended up giving me problems over time.

The version of TrueRTA that I'm using was $100; they have a free version but it has such low resolution that it's just a bar graph with like 10 bars. For free, check out this one: Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst - Real Time Spectrum Analysis Plug-in (VST, Audio Unit, RTAS, DX) (Freeware) I haven't tried it, I only just found out about it recently.

17. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Bongo, thanks for the advice. I was hoping though to get an Audio interface that could be used for other purposes besides frequency analysis though, and the Echo Audiofire lacks features that I'd want like a couple of mic inputs and an instrument input too.

Can you give me an idea of the advantages of the Echo Audiofire over (say) the PreSonus units ? Is it the number of bits of conversion, or data rate (USB/Firewire), or latency, or ...

Actually, really, I'm just trying to get an understanding of whether a more general purpose Audio Interface would also do for the frequency analysis.

Thanks, Andy

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The specs are (a) all pretty similar between brands, and (b) a moving target, changing a little with every new edition. Don't focus on the specs.

The Presonus units I owned all sounded fine and did their job, until they started having small glitch noises, or causing interference with other programs or devices. I did a ton of searching on reviews of reliability, and the Echo came out on top for the price range. You want more inputs, they make other models: Echo Digital Audio Corporation

19. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Thanks again, much appreciated :)

20. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    [​IMG]

Smallest tuner I've seen so far :) LINK

According to their video "the smallest pedal tuner in the world".

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021