Tiny pedals (1590A pedals)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigBeatNut, Dec 10, 2011.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I may have missed it and sorry if I have...but, to your collective knowledge...are there any well tracking,good sounding octave down pedals out there, in this small 1590 format?

2. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Nearest thing I've seen so far is this:

Probably not enough for me, even when it becomes available, no mix control for balancing dry and effect.

On octaver is one of the things I'm really waiting for, along with a bass-friendly comp.

Andy

3. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
  4. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    It most certainly will. And VERY reasonably priced. It'll free up some headroom on my PP2 AND look sechztimes all over the place. Totally wicked.

5. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i KNOW. i'm going to get a PP Digital. that, and a Spunkley Tesla?

LOVE. BUNNIES.

6. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
  7. it's been a long time in the making... can't wait for mine to arrive!

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Hey Bongo...would you say this comp is pretty transparent?

I've been all over the map with comps...came really close to picking up a FloorQ a few months back...I feel the itch coming, again. I would totally wait if this guy is Floorqish.

Not sure if it's exactly a 1590....but the Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise is an AMAZINGLY awesome fuzz that comes in a small package.

http://www.fairfieldcircuitry.com/US.html

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks VERY MUCH!
    I thought I'd seen that post somewhere but forgot where...
    A GOOD octaver and OD/FUZZ/Distortion(I still don't really know the sonic difference between the three...) and a nice Wah(auto wah possibly) would be all I'd need in terms of pedals...and possibly a sustainer that behaves like the hold pedal on a piano...any Ideas as to the auto wah and sustain thingy?
    ...In the small format?

Thanks again
    :)

10. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Don't get too excited, this is an amateur build, (I think) at any rate, not a commercial product.

[​IMG]

More details HERE.

No idea on the 'sustain' pedal.

For auto-wah do you think of envelope filter as the same thing ? I'm not sure but if you want an envelope filter you may want to look at the multi-purpose mythfx infinium.

[​IMG]

I have not found any indication that these have been used successfully on bass, but looking on the positive side, it has a mix control, so presumably you could mix the original signal back in if the wah filtered out too much bass ... maybe ?

Andy

11. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I wish some of these hobbyist pedal builders would go pro ...

Three examples THAT YOU CANNOT BUY :) (Click on pics for links).

1590a-ivan-out-med.jpg

Gloryshot.jpg

LardBoost.png

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Those are rad.
    I use an old briefcase as a pedal board. Not much room. Tiny pedals would fit nicely.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Now, that mini wah looks really cool!
    Is it you who built it?
    and yes, I guess an envelope filter is what I tend to call auto wah.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look at those myth thingies.:)

14. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    No, 'fraid not ... I just read that entire thread a month or so ago trying to spot the pro builders amongst the hobbyists. Didn't really find much, I listed a couple of them in the early days of this thread, but even those looked like someone who might build something on request, not a real business.

15. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    This was snapped at Namm

IMG_4278.jpg

by "woolyh" at harmony central.

I can't make out much, except there appear to be 18 different pedals there.

One of them appears to be called 'B...Comp'. Bass Comp ? Blue Comp ?

Whatever, looking forward to seeing those in the shops :)

Andy

16. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Here's my best shot at figuring out that lot.

Top Row:

Bottom Row:

• Blue - Blue Comp - (Compressor ? Looks like it may have an attack and sustain control)
    • Silver - ????
    • Red - ????CHER (May be a Crunch Box clone, from mockups on Mooer site and from here.)
    • Brown - Ultradrive

Can anyone fill in the blanks ? Guesses based on colour ? (E.g. Ninety Orange presumably relates to MXR Phase 90, Green Mile presumably relates to Tube Screamer).

-- EDIT -- There's now a much fuller description of all these pedals from effectsdatabase. -- EDIT --

Andy

17. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Markbass are getting in the act with two bass-specific pedals, the Mini Boost and Mini Dist.

markbass-mini_dist_001.jpg markbass-mini_boost_001.jpg

Looks like they might be almost as small as 1590A boxes, but there's conflicting information on size.

Andy

18. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    Twin cities, MN
    Oh my god!!!!
    I absolutely love MB!
    I'm gonna go get this the moment they are available.

19. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    This thread is full of sooo much bite-sized goodness. Most GAS inducing thread lately.

Those MarkBass minis are the only pedals in this thread (so far) that has top mounted jacks. Although the power jack is side mounted so they still take up some extra space when mounted next to each other.

Really interested in that Mcspunkle power supply. Would love to hear a review once someone gets ahold of one. Seems almost "too good to be true". Recently bought another daisy chain to power only 4 pedals and one of them could benefit from having an isolated supply to lower it's noise. Team Tesla would be smaller, lighter, and cheaper alternative to a Voodoo Labs Iso5.

20. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    When I started buying effect I specifically bought a Pedaltrain Mini to limit my pedal expenses to just a few. (If I wanted something new, something else needed to go away.)

There are a few square inches left on it here or there. Now after reading this thread I had to go and order a Malekko Phase last night. And there's probably room for a couple more... :rolleyes:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021