Tiny pedals (1590A pedals)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigBeatNut, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
  2. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
  3. Sorry to leave you hanging Josh- that is not quite correct. It is better than that! There are two internal dip switches, one controls the gain boost when the exterior knob is fully CCW- it can be either 3 db or 0 db gain. The knob's sweep provides something big, definitely over 20 db of gain. Of course with the dip switch set to "+3 db" you get 3 db more gain when the knob is fully CW, so it's a gain offset, if that makes sense. Fully CW is way more gain than I ever use! I set the dip switch to be 0 db boost when knob is fully CCW, and even then it alters the sound a bit and makes things bigger. I usually turn the knob up just a bit, probably ~2 or 3 db gain, and while subtle but definitely noticeable, because not only do you get more gain, but there is also a slight fattening of the lows (maybe low-mids, I'm guessing ~90 - 100 Hz) and slight added harmonics from the FET for a bit of sparkle and color.

The other dip switch controls an EQ curve- either "vintage" Echo Plex (which I think sacrifices some lows IIRC) or "flat". I use "flat". The factory settings are "flat" and +3 db w/ knob fully CCW.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    HI all..
    I do not know where, but I have seen a 1590 format tube pedal.
    In a shiny box with the tube sticking out at one end...looked real neat.

My problem...I do not remember where exactly I have seen this.
    Has anyone possibly seen such a pedal and knows where ?

I'd greatly appreciate if one might let me know!

Thanks

5. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    This one ?

[​IMG]

(found here)

I'm not even sure if that's a real tube, looks a little strange to me.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't think it was this one, no.
    The on eI mean looked much neater than this one.
    ...That#s if I'm not mistaken:).

7. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq

Jun 13, 2005
    Belgium
  8. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks DiscoFreq. I am quite interested in the pitch box myself. Here's hoping it errs on the distorty side of transparent rather than synthy/glitchy. Could be perfect for how I use pitch shifting. Do you know if they are analog or digital?

9. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq

Jun 13, 2005
    Belgium
    Most of them seem to be analog...

I'm also interested in the mini drives and mini Big Muff ("Triangle Buff"), I wonder how good they sound :D

10. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    That's certainly the one that interests me most, If I can get it do do a halfway decent Boss OC-2 (-1 octave) sound.

I was interested in the comp, but now less so as it seems to be a Boss CS-1 clone.

11. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Did you get to try any of them out ? I wondered exactly where those pedals are on the scale of mockup -> working prototype -> production model.

Andy

12. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL

Considering the number of intervals it can do, I'm pretty sure that particular one is digital along with their reverb.

13. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    A couple of recent discoveries from the last week or so ... no idea of suitability for bass which is why I've hesitated to post.

24101-effector-13-05-clipping-boost-large.jpg

Effector 13 05 clipping boost. Effector 13 seems to be defunct as a brand.

[​IMG]

Piggy Fx Schweinefleisch - Fuzz - "a hybrid between silicon and germanium transistors"

[​IMG]

Piggy Fx Lard - warm booster

14. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq

Jun 13, 2005
    Belgium
    Yes, those 2 are of course digital, the others are analog I think (that's why I said most :D)

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Has anyone here tried those albit skull series MG-1 and MS-1?
    I'd be interested in hearing about these.
    ¢ŠEÅ¬ƒNƒ‰ƒXƒGƒtƒFƒNƒ^[ ALBITV»•i@SKULLƒVƒŠ[ƒY’a¶
    Same question about the Mooer minis... are they any good and since I saw more than one distortion or fuzz or OD mini in their line of products ; which one(s) might be the best one to use with bass(passive)?
    And... is there any sort of consensus on "the best" distortion or OD or Fuzz pedal in this 1590 format?
    Thanks! :)

16. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Too few people use them for there to be a "consensus", however the [sfx] Black Dragon and Red Dragon are pretty much the top of the heap in terms of bass-friendliness and quality.

17. i would add the SFX micro fuzz to that list. I have a micro fuzz and red dragon and am very very happy with both. Despite getting picky as I get older demanding all the EQ and blend options etc., on my pedals, I have never once felt let down by Max's pedals in terms of bass compatibility. Like many other of his customers, as soon as the micro-comp comes out, we are getting that bit closer to a total micro board.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!
    How do the dragons compare to the micro fuzz in terms of sound and noise?

I'm just getting back to pedals, having sold every single one I had, years ago.
    Going all micro would be nice!
    Distortion seems easy...plenty to choose from.
    Now it's envelope filter( auto wah) and an octave up and down box I'll be after and curious to try that mooer pitch thingy...that may well do the octave...
    :)

19. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The fuzz is a fuzz. Buy it if you want a fuzz.

20. BassDbler

BassDbler

Feb 16, 2009
    Riverside, CA
    I love my JHS Mini Foot Fuzz. Same casing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021