Tiny pickguard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Motoboy, May 12, 2005.

1. I'm moving along nicely on a black limba Warmoth P-bass project. The Tru-oil really did wonders for the wood. I can't wait for the limba/ebony neck to get here!

But, without any clearcoat, I'm worried about the damage my thumbnail will cause the wood above the pickup where my thumb rests while playing. Should I really worry about it? And if so, does anyone have any good ideas for a small plate there that won't detract from the spartan appearance of the instrument? I've thought about an oval or round pickguard around the entire pups, but it doesn't really blow my skirt up. I want to show as much of the wood as possible.

Any ideas? Photos?

2. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    howbout a wood pickguard or thumb rest?

i had a similar issue, i needed to cover a sloppy routing job, but i built the bass in such a way that any addition of plastic would look out of place. i fashioned a pickguard out of basswood, and it's worked for me. i'll post some pictures.
  3. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    here's a crappy picture of the bass. it's taken at an odd angle to catch the whole thing, but, the important part is just the wood pickguard.

Attached Files:

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm going to have to use that one. It's a winner.

That thing looks like it could hurt someone, Artis, but I love the basswood picguard. Excellent touch.

5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What kinda wood is it? Spruce? Poplar?

I wouldn't worry, if the wood wasn't really soft, like the above mentioned.
  6. ArtisF: Thanks for the idea; good looking bass. I do want something even smaller and black, since all my hardware is black. Without a router it will be hard to make one myself, but if I settle on an idea I can just get it made at pickguard.com. With the ebony fingerboard an ebony pickguard would look good though, wouldn't it?

Nateo: Feel free to use that one. It works especially well being male.

Suburban: It's black korina and even the slightest pressure with a fingernail leaves a dent. It would look cool to have alot of wear where it gets touched, but I want it to look shiny and new for as long as I can.
  7. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Here's what I did...it's a wenge plate to match the neck through

Attached Files:

8. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    That actually looks really cool. I love wood pickguards, they're so much classier than plastic.

thanks for the complements too btw.

Hah :D. It's actually surprisingly comfortable to play despite it's sharp corners.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, then...
    Hard, polyurethan finish would keep it dent free for a loong time. Or perhaps some selfadhevise mylar film, just for fun?

Or...start to play with floating thumb, which will not only remove the problem, but also improve your musical palette! ;)