Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tiny practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lisa Weiss, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Okay, so I just bought a 17 foot travel trailer, and in the spirit of never leaving my bass, I need to find a really small practice amp that I can take camping.

Looking for a decent sound and a cheap price. This doesn't have to blast the windows out. :D

Weight is also an issue. We have to keep the total trailer weight down so the Jeep can safely pull it. Any suggestions?

Lisa

2. my dear lisa, what you seek is the Peavey Microbass !

it's about 12" x 12" x 8", and gives a lot of sound for such a small box..

:)

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like the Fender Bassman 25 for a small amp. I am sure it's not the lightest. But it's got great tone. But perhaps almost any amp at 10w with a 6" or 8" speaker will fill the bill. At low volumes, most amps seem to sound good.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Microbass is a good option. You can get it for $160.00 or less brand new. I've got a Fender Bassman 25 and I've got no regrets. It will cost you about $100.00 more than the Peavey though.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is a headphone amp out?

6. The tubeworks 100W 110 combo actually sounds very nice for it's size. Not sure about availability though.

7. Peavey Minx 110. Plentiful and inexpensive on eBay. Mine is great, and has enough poop for a coffee shop gig when the guitar players rein it in.

8. Thanks guys! Sounds like the micro-bass will do the trick, if it's not too heavy. I don't expect any other campers would be happy with volume! :D

Lisa

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lisa, don't laugh, but a Korg Pandora through a decent set of PC speakers with a sub sounds surprisingly nice for low-volume practice, plus gives you the option of headphones.

10. How big is it? I really have to keep size and weight down.

Lisa

11. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, a Pandora is about the size of a cassette Walkman. The new PX4B even has a provision for wireless headphones!

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Lisa,

There's a couple of PX3Bs on Bassgear.com for around $100.00. The PX4B will cost about $200.00+ unless you've got the hookup. :D

14. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Hi, Lisa. I went to check out a Micro-Bass about 3 yrs. ago, and wound up buying the Minx-110 instead. 3 years trouble free & a great sound. Check'em both out and see which one is right for you.

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    This....
    Is a great choice...

***NEVER MIND!
    Sorry, you said "cheap price".
    This would set you back about 600-700 bux,
    but Oh, man, these have a BIG Sound!
    I bring mine to rehearsal studios as an "ace in the hole" when I'm told that backline is furnished.
    No way most of that stuff sounds as good as this!
    Hey, if you wanna spend the money,you get a whole lot of tone in a very compact rig- :D

16. Hey...thanks for all the cool links guys! I really appreciate it. I'm going to try to get out this weekend and check some stuff out. I have a few music stores in my area.

Lisa

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is your bass active? you could need only headphones...

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Whooooahhh hold on now :eek: I urge you strongly to look into the Pignose Hog 30. It's 30 watts, has an 8" speaker, is pretty light and small, sounds really good, is loud enough to play along with percussion and acoustic guitars, and best of all is rechargargable. You can power it up and take it anywhere. I have one for about 5 yrs now, it's been to the beach, camping, picnics, and I use it as my practice amp all the time. Only minor downfall is if you overcharge the batteries they seem to drop dead on ya. Had to replace them 2X. Otherwise, for a practice amp I think it's unbeatable. I think they go for around $150.

19. If you can, grab what I started on, a nice little puncher, Washburn BD30B, 30W, I personally have used it and competed easily with larger g****r combos, give you an idea of it's volume...

20. The one I'll schlep caming is passive. I don't want to exposed any of my other basses to the great outdoors. :D

Lisa