Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tip: External midi controller for V-Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Nov 6, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I just wish they had made the V-Bass a rack unit with separate pedal board. Making adjustments on a floor unit is hard on the back and not very useful live.

Here's a little something to check out for other V-Bass owners: I bought a Doepfer Pocket Control
    [​IMG]
    midi controller that I use as an external controller for the V-Bass (up to eight parameters per patch is possible with the V-Bass). EQ settings, amp knobs, efx settings etc.

The only drawback is that there is only one-way communication, the controller doesn't know what values you have set in a patch, the knobs aren't motorized and will not reflect the current settings when you change patches.

Still a great help if don't want to crawl on the floor all the time, and much better for live adjustments of EQ or effects settings. I'll mount the controller on my mic stand eventually.

There are a couple of other similar midi controllers that should work too, and this idea should also work for other midi equipment such as efx units.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very cool. where'd you get it?

3. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I bought it in a local music store (in Stockholm). This particular controller is made in Germany, but I think it's available worldwide. These midi controllers are primarily used with PC based synth/sampler software I think.

Here's one web page with a list of different units to check out. I chose the Doepfer because of small size, possibility to configure the knobs to some degree and plain local availability.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks. :)

5. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Your welcome!

Just happy if I can pay back some for all the useful info I've gotten from TB and TBers! :)