Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tips and advice needed on shaping the back of necks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jun 29, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    After cutting through to the truss rod channel on 2 necks in the last year I figured I would ask you all how you figure out how much you can shave the back of a neck you have built without going through. Any tips or help would be great. I have been making my neck blanks 13/16" thick and using a 1/4" thick fingerboard with the Stewmac spoke trussrods. Thanks ...........Tom

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Total thickness - [fingerboard thickness + depth of truss rod channel] = thickness of wood remaining below channel.

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I am aware of that. But what tools do you use? Do you use a caliper to measure how much you are taking off? .....t

4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    yep :)

5. Anything I've attempted, I admit, I always leave pretty much the full thickness, @ 1" from top of fingerboard. I love a chunky neck tho... it gives me @ 3/8 material behind the trussrod. I use the same rods... I sand the majority of the curve on a belt sander, and I have guages I made off a pin guage to replicate the back contour of my old G&L 2000 neck. My favorite neck ever, to be sure, but I like it a little beefier. I have big hands so I like tha big neck. It also makes the whole headstock transition easier, imo. Not all people like it, but I love it.

Yup, a 20 dollar caliper gos a long way indeed for tapers.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I hope to get to it this weekend. I will be using my calipers this time.......t