tips and advise

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by __Syxx__, Nov 14, 2000.

1. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    hi im just starting to learn how to play bass and i was wondering if anyone had any advise or tips to give me, cause it would be very useful to me. Thanks
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is what most of the site is all about - if you read through the forums like "General Instruction", "Technique", "Setup" etc. you will find loads of tips and advice. If you have a particular area that you are interested in, then you could always use the "Search" facility and you will probably find it in here somewhere!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I see from your profile your biggest influence is Fieldy. So, if you're a normal aspiring bassist, you're going to start out trying to play just like Fieldy. My advice -don't. For one thing, he positions his bass almost vertically. Also, he plays a lot of slap,uses chords, and KoRn's music often has odd meters and somewhat syncopated basslines. If you start out trying these things, odds are you're going to put your Ashton down and consider the didgeridoo. However, I'm not saying you shouldn't try playing along with KoRn. A beginner can do that by locking in on the root notes and playing a straight beat. One band from your country you might try playing along with is AC/DC. Cliff Williams plays a straight beat with root notes a lot and doesn't get too complex, although sometimes he will mute notes or not play them at all, but not enough to throw you. Williams and the drummer are a single machine.

By learning how to play root notes you learn what every bassist learns - you are the glue between melody and the beat. Your right arm, (assuming you're right-handed), is locked on the drummer's bass pedal(s) and your ear is on the melody. Meanwhile, your goal for your fretting hand should be to press the string with the ball of your finger, not the tip, just behind the fret hard enough to keep the string from buzzing but not so hard as to make the note sharp. Resist the inclination to use just your index and middle fingers. If you start out that way it'll become a bad habit that will hold you back and you'll have a hard time breaking.
    As was mentioned earlier, there are loads of threads in Talkbass to help you. Harmony Central has tons, too. Just go to their home page, click on "bass", which will take you to a page with "Bass Instruction," ("Hanging Ten" located on there helped me tremendously with using all my fingers well).
    Once you get the basics down, go for slapping, hammer-ons, tapping, vibrato, arpeggios, passing notes,and the rest. You'll get further than you will with 10 effects pedals.
    Above all, don't be a parrot, learn how to play like Syxx. Maybe I'll find myself trying to play like you someday.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That's a good little piece of advice that nobody told me when I first started. It's been a hard habit to break, one that I'm still working on. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble, including wrist problems, and increase dexterity, speed, and efficiency.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Listen to a lot of Motown.

Will C.:cool:
  6. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    Thanks alot rickbass i didnt really think anyone would help me that much. I'll try and remember most of it. Thanks again.
  7. und

Nov 15, 2000
    just wanted to say that rickbass has amazing advice, listen to him, he is wise in the ways of the bass
  8. backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I like to learn an entire album at a time. It gives you a good feel of how one is put together and a sense of playing style.
  9. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Why should one use the ball of the finger rather than the tip? Is it because by using the tip you're curling your hand too much? Are you bending the outer digit of your finger backwards to do this (especially on the higher strings)? Thanks!