1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tips and tricks about playing a more aggressive slap style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Gojiberry22, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    ive been trying to get more into some faster paced slap bases music. Think primus and early rhcp. I've also been listening to this one band in particular, the Japanese punk/jazz/hardcore band 385.

Their bassist miya recently recorded a quick demonstration video for two of her licks.

I'm a fairly fresh player, so im looking for some advice on how to approach playing something in this sort of style.

2. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    All I can say is practice, practice, practice.

Start slowly, just like she's showing you in those videos, and then as you get the finger placement down, start speeding it up until you get to the tempo you want to be playing it at.

One thing: technically speaking, her right hand technique is not great. Her thumb would be better off being parallel to the strings, so she (or you, for the sake of this post) could do things like double thumb and get even quicker. Having your thumb perpendicular to the strings prevents you from using more advanced slapping techniques. Maybe check out some videos of Marcus Miller, Larry Graham, Victor Wooten, and Les Claypool. Watch what they're doing with their right hand and try to incorporate some of that too.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto