Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips and What Not

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Thought I'd start a thread where people can easily find tips and things to watch out for. So here goes:

Shop Cleanliness.

I was about to glue up a control cavity laminate last night. I figured its a good idea to dry set everyhing and clamp it down just to make sure everything is OK before I applied the glue.

Good thing. Seems that the last time i used the clamps glue dripped on the inside surfaces and was left to harden. Had I used it like that without looking I would have left a nasty dent in my laminate.

I think it would be useful if this thread were used for pointing out things rather than a conversation thread. Quick and easy place to learn. Guess we'll see. Reply with a tip!!

2. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    That in itself is a tip right there. You should ALWAYS dry fit and test clamp your parts, as you may find your parts don't fit so well, or what you thought was a good method of clamping doesn't work so well, or your clamps are too small, or you don't have enough, etc.

To the cleanliness tip I'll also add organization. In my personal experience I find it easier to work in a shop where all the tools are very organized and have a place, so you know right where a tool is right when you need it, and don't have to go shearching for it as if you had the 'mad scientist' thing going with you tools and crap all over your bench and everywhere.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    We had a Tips and Tricks thread, that was stickied at the top of the forum-- but then it was locked and it disappeared.

What happened to it, Hammie? :confused:

4. It died from a lack of interest. Other than a couple of other posts, it looked like a vanity thread started by and for me so I killed it about 6 months ago. I had a long list of little tricks I've compiled but without others posting I sure wasn't going to make a fool of myself.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, Mr Bone, it was not with the posting you made that fool. Rather by taking them away...you made fools of a few other aspiring luthiers.
    Those were pretty great tips. Any way to restore them? If so: DO!

Please?