Tips for a 7 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Hey boys and girls.
    I'll be getting a GTBD-7 this summer. I'll be moving from a 4 straight to a 7. Are there any tips/hints I should know for a 7? I might get Bill Dickens video. Are there any books?
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    The first thing that comes to my mind is, you'll have to watch how you mute the strings. I moved over from 5's, and the biggest challenge for me was learning how silence the things....
  3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    yeah but you can use a scrunchy or some tissue damperage near the nut under the strings to pretty much eliminate the problem, but never give up to correctly adjust your technique, try to mute strings with your ring and pinky while doing pizz or start trailing your thumb from string to string as you move up and down, I used a n F# string and managed to kept it silent by anchoring my thumb on the B for example, while the meaty part of the finger would rest over the F#, but thats me, I always hated having my finger resting on pups.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Just so you know, the Bill Dickens videos don't really cover technique or advice on how to play a seven-string. All the examples and lessons he shows are played on a four-string, and then it switches to him playing with a band and he's using a seven (and a six-string Cirrus on one song). They're fun videos to watch, but not particularly instructional.
  5. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Another issue will be the string spacing will no doubt be tighter. Go slow!
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the bd gt7 is certainly the best bass to make the switch to, for the money, imo. the spacing at the nut is tighter than the standard gt7 - 2" as opposed to ~2.25", and the neck profile is very thin and comfortable.

my advice to you is just to go slow and be patient. it's a big switch going from 4 to 7.
  7. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Although I don't play 7, I made the switch from 4 to 6.
    Watch out for your left hand technique as you get used to the wider neck. You may not even have any problems, but it could take a little bit to get comfortable on it.
    Other than that, muting, and try not to confuse all those strings! :bassist:
  8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I also went frmo 4 to 6 like Nadav, and the biggest problem I had was plucking the right string. I would be playing and no reall sound would be coming out out of my bass... low and behold I was 2 whole strings away with my right (plucking) hand one time. Muting hasn't been a problem for me at all. I don't know, it just seems to have come natural and somewhat automatic.
  9. Thanks for all the advice guys. I will defiently go slow!
    I just can't wait till I get it! :hyper:
  10. yes, the best advice i can give is not to get intimidated by the thing. i think going from 4 to 7 is quite a jump, and it might take some getting used to, but you shouldn't have a problem if you follow everybody elses advice and take it slow!
  11. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    The Bill Dickens video sucks, and Bobby Rock is a douche bag, with that said. I jumped from a 4 to a 7 when i moved up and it took me 9+ months to really get used to it, i hated the string spacing, and I started getting wrist pain in my playing (right) hand because of the stretch, so i had to completly relearn how to play with a mobile anchor like Alain Caron does. After 9 months of playing it i figured i just didnt want to take a 7 string to Berklee with me, and i was about to get a second one (bill dickens sig) and defret the first one, but i found 2 yamaha's (TRB-6PI and TRB-JPI) for the about same price (~2000) and the feel is 10x better than the conklin.

I still have my conklin bt-7, its a fun noodle bass, and i may use it for some solo gigs with a looping pedal, but i woudnt use it any where else.

I'm kind of 50/50 on selling it if i can get 800 w/ case for it
  12. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I think that it really depends a lot on how your technique is now, on your 4-string. If you are used to grabbing around the neck with your left hand, you might need to change your approach quite a bit in that area. However, if you, like me, has been taught "proper technique", there is little to fear in switching from 4 to 7 strings.

I did just that last October, going from my old 4-string fretless to a 7-string. Since I have been taught to keep my l.h. thumb on the back of the neck, there wasn't much of a change in technique and approach: the only thing was learning how to keep strings muted as I play. That took probably about a month of playing to get used to.
    Here's how I do that: If I am playing on the D string, I'll use the left hand to mute the G, C and F strings; and the right hand thumb to mute the A, E and B strings. If I play on the F string, my right hand thumb and palm mutes all the others. If I play on the B string, my left hand fingers mute all the others. (interpolate to figure out the remaining strings)
    Works for me.