1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tips for Composing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BenJanning, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Any tips on composing songs? We all know the theory etc. but I would like to hear people's ways of getting into the correct mindset and expressing themselves, telling their stories.
    I think there could be some very interesting answers.

;)

2. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    I try and hear it in my head and sing it. Then I transcribe the mix. MY singing isn't great, but if I can hear it in my head it works.

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Listen to other forms of music you usually would not listen to. Also take note of some of the things people say and do. There's stuff going on around you all the time. You have to open youself up and be like a sponge. This may sound corny but it's good advice. What about some of your life experiences. I pay attention to commercials and jingles on TV that get my attention. In a nutshell open up, expose yourself and pay more attention to what's goin on around you. Don't worry about making music, the inspiration will just come. The best stuff comes to you in minutes. You may have to work it up. But it's there at your finger tips.

4. Nice answer!

5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Take two notes , and rub them together 'til one catches fire.

6. When it comes to writing songs I follow the old adage, first mentioned by Clint Eastwood, that a man has to know his limitations. That's why I don't even try to write songs, because the few times I've tried, I embarrassed myself to no end! Thank goodness no one else heard them! :rollno:

7. Illini10

Illini10

May 15, 2012
    Elmwood, IL
    I've written three songs and two were for my wife. The other was just some noodling on the bass that turned into an instrumental when I brought it to band practice. The two for my wife will just stay between me and her!

I didn't really set out to write any of them, they just came to me and evolved. It was like fraublugher (whinny!!!) said, "Take two notes, and rub them together until one catches fire."

8. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    There is a concept which says, essentially, a part of the brain called the chooser is acting before you ever are aware. It sits, and looks at a, "soup", of all these different concepts mashing together, the concept green paired with something crazy like lips, and green with the concept grass, etc. This is happening every minute of every day. The things you think of as thoughts are what the chooser picks as concepts or concept pairings which you historically have paid attention to and ACTED upon. In other words, if you want to be creative, in any way, the creative fire to some extent must be cultivated and ACTED upon. Write a song everyday, or when an inclination comes for a bit of song, pay attention to it, as this according to the theory, trains the chooser to pick more pairings which match creative inclination. See? Experimental cognitive psychology 101 rocks!

9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    There's basicly two ways I come up with new riffs:

1. I get a spontaneous idea in my head and get it down on the bass afterword
    or
    2. I noodle around on the bass and stumbles over something useful.

After that it's just work, fitting the pieces together.

Listening to music and smoking weed are two great sources of inspiration.

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Margaret Bourke White said of photography: We take pictures so we can practice taking pictures when we aren't taking pictures. The same is true for music. As you go through the day, think of little melodies or rhythms or lyrics that mirror what you are seeing and feeling.

Remember also that music is communication and the simplier you can make that, the better. So, if you have a great lyric, let the melody, harmony and rhythm serve that lyric by staying out of the way. Or if your melody is great, let everything else help it, not take attention away from it. Let your message (the reason you are composing music) be clear and obvious to your listeners.

Michael Tilson-Thomas says it best: What happens when the music stops? What do people take away from hearing the music? What are they left with?