Tips for Convenient Pedal Practice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Samurai, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    So I have always practiced bass un-amplified and I think that has served me well. I can be in the other room in front of the TV and not feel like such a hermit wood shedding in my room by myself, plus it keeps me from ever burning out because I am never “just practicing”. Also I don’t want to fire up my whole rig just to quietly practice at home.

Now the problem I am running in to is that I have a couple pedals I want/need to start practicing with (mainly my new DL4). So my question is what are some options I have to mess with pedals in another room away from my big cabinet, and if possible without having to buy a practice amp.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You could practice unplugged, but then the pedals won't work.'re going to need to plug into something, but if you don't want to shell yourself in your room, might I suggest a really long cable, turn your amp up and take advantage of the natural revurb in your house?
  3. Wow! You just reminded me of another advantage to having a Zoom 505II at the end of my signal chain! Maybe getting one of those, depending of course of the size of your pedalboard, would solve your problem?
  4. As Stingus said most multiefx will drive a set of headphones but I have another suggestion. Behringer makes an assortment of small and inexpensive mixers that has a decent headphone amp and can serve a multitude of purposes. I have a MX602A that I use to mix wet and dry bass, multiple sound sources from my basses and it even gets used as a small PA mixer at times. It also has rca in/outs for playing along with cd's or whatever.