Tips for Cool Edit

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by fleabass89, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Hello, I use a combination of a Yamaha 8 track and Cool Edit Pro 2 to make recordings, which I mix on my computer. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to get my recordings to sound a bit better. I know this is a very vague request.. so allow me to give you some back up info. I record my drums very primitively, with two overheads and a bass drum mic. I have found that by reducing mids, the drums sound a bit better, but would compressing them slightly make them sound better as well? Also with mixing; I'm not exactly sure where to pan the drums in the mix. I guess the bass drum in the middle.. and up to now I've been putting the left overhead track at about 40 left and the right overhead track at about 30 right, and it sounds pretty balanced. But I'm not sure if there's a better way to do this which may reduce the muddiness of the recording (The two guitars are panned at 50 on each side.) And the vocals... should I pan them just in the middle, or should I insert it twice on each side? I know this post is probably confusing and vague. I guess I'm just trying to figure out a way to make my recordings sound more professional; thus, any help would be appreciated.