1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tips for finding a singer?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by IconBasser, Aug 31, 2008.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Hey y'all, I've got a prog rock band going, and we're looking for a singer (preferably a female, their voices just sound better IMO).

in all the bands I've been in, they've always been instrumental, so I've got no experience with finding vocalists.

Tips? tricks?

2. bambambass

bambambass

Aug 4, 2008
    nz
    Hi IconBasser

We found our singer at a music club. He was performing solo and I approached him after his set and asked him if he was interested in joining our band. He listened to ours, liked it and joined that evening.

The club was like an open mic night sort of thing where the promotor didn't bother listening to the bands before booking them. You could try something like that if they are in your area.

Good luck!

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I would suggest an ad on Craigslist and perhaps some of the local music stores. I would try to be very specific in the ad but it may not do much good. A couple of years ago I was trying to put together a 60's British invasion kind of gig. We needed a lead guitarist and got mostly guys who fancied themselves SRV or Jimi Hendrix or Van Halen types. Totally inappropriate for the style. So be prepared.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I used CL, it took a year, but we finally landed someone. Try open mics or karaoke bars as well.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Sounds like some good suggestions to me.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Get a singer who is not an alcoholic.

7. Tedddy

Tedddy

Dec 3, 2007
    poetry readings

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    thanks for the advice so far. I like the idea of a karaoke bar, there's a jazz bar a few minutes away that has karaoke nights. I'll check it out next time they have one!

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Here are the only two pieces of advice that I can give you:

(1) If you can pre-screen singers in any way it is a big help

(2) A decent singer who is on the same page as the rest of you is infinitely better than someone with amazing pipes who wants to do things their own way.

The first point may just be my own experience, but it seems like every time I've been in a band (covers or originals) and advertised for a singer, we had people coming out of the woodwork who had no business holding a microphone. Being able to hear them via MySpace, or ideally at an open mic night or something similar will really cut down on wasted time. As the guy that always gets pressed into singing "temporarily" (and honestly, I'm a better singer than a bass player for whatever that's worth) I'm especially frustrated by terrible auditions.

So advertise as much as you can (MySpace, Craigslist, flyers at music shops etc) and you should get responses, just make sure you screen them. And on the flipside, you should have decent samples of your music for them for the same reason.

The second point is another frustration I've often had. One of my favorite roles is working with a talented singer/songwriter on their songs. I'm doing that right now with a young female pianist and loving it. I'm fine with playing a support role for someone else's vision. But if you guys as a band know what you want, having someone trying to bend your wills to theirs is just going to be frustrating, even if they are really talented.

Find someone who digs what you do and is good enough to pull it off.

The truth is that often the right person is hard to find. But considering that (like it or not) the singer will make or break your band, make sure you find the right person.

Good luck.

10. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Found ours doing the taco tour {mexican rest.} playing acoustic crap on weekends.....great singer, and as a cover band, had over 300 songs already down...:bassist: