Tips for finding a teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Canoman, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm thinking about taking some lessons, and I have a question on finding a teacher.

Here in Dallas, there is a local events paper called the Dallas Observer. In it, there are classifieds for music instruction, and there is an ad posted by a guy who used to be in a band that I really liked. He teaches lessons at the local Mars Music store and lists a phone number to call.

When I bought my first bass, I asked the guy at GC who sold it to me where I could get some lessons, and he gave me a coupon for some lessons from someplace that listed lessons for lots of instruments (guitar, bass, piano, woodwinds, brass, percussion). I am not sure whether this place has different teachers for different instruments, or whether it's one "jack of all trades" person.

Another thing I considered is trying to get some lessons at UNT in Denton. I know they have a highly regarded jazz program there, and I'm sure there are some excellent profs there that offer lessons. If the profs don't, then they could probably hook me up with a grad student who would teach lessons.

I know that some will say that it depends on what type of music I want to play. Basically, at this point, I just want some lessons on bass basics from a live person instead of a video. I have really only delved into rock music on my bass as of yet, but I really enjoy jazz music as well.

I have taken many music lessons for trumpet, and found that I was a little less intimidated by younger teachers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. I'd talk to everyone you're thinking of taking lessons from first, to see if you're a good fit, and if the prospective teacher is capable of giving you what you want. Most of them will spend some time talking to you first to find out what you want to learn. This ought to give you some kind of idea about the guy. Etiher that, or get a recommendation from someone who's had lessons from that particular person before.

3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I come from the Jeff Berlin school of thought on this matter. Meaning, I would find a cat who will teach you "music" as opposed to just a style of music. I agree with Lisa, look into all of the teachers. And remember, you're not under any contract, if you don't like the way a teacher is teaching you, you don't have to stay with him/her.