Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips For Gigs ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by The Artist, Nov 7, 2002.

1. I have my first gig comming up on Monday and just wanted to ask for any tipps you Xpirienced bassists have. I'd appriciate anything,
    THX
    SCODI

2. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Show up early. You will have time to get set up and then chill a bit before the show stars. I find it is best to relax a little befor you start playing. Don't get all wound up before hand or you'll just wont play as well. And most important, have fun. Don't get frustrated when and if you make mistakes. Any of the players out here will tell you that mistakes WILL happen. If it's wrong notes, if you forget a bridge, etc., mistakes will happen. Just have fun.:D

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bring spare batteries, strings, tools (wire cutters, soldering iron, etc.) and cables.
    Spare bass too, if you have one.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Duct tape.

Shake hands with sound guy.

Smile onstage.

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Remember its all about the music.
    Act like a professional.
    Focus
    Enjoy the hell out of it---
    you're doing a Gig!!!!:cool:

6. It's not just our gig though.
    Its a producers 53 Birthday Party and he invited all his bands, and his son is a guitarist in our band and we are just going to play 2 of our songs round about the middle of the performance. (If it goes well well play three:) )

THX so far
    SCODI

7. Don't "rock out" so much that you dont play properly

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    SCODI- Go ahead on & give 'em FOUR, man!!

:D

9. If you screw up.... KEEP GOING!

10. dont be nervous. its just a gig, nothing bad can happen. and like the antipop said, if u screw up dont worry, just make up for it by continuing to play your best.

11. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Don't let the drummer drink too much...

Trust me, dude -- I know from experience

12. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)

HA! I love it....
    sometimes I wish one of mine would drink himself into oblivion!!:D

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    1. Know your parts

2. dont drink alcohol or at the least dont drink in excess

3. be professional at all times

3A. if you should somehow need to retune, dont do it inbetween the song where the crowd can hear it, use an electronic tuner (if possible) imo nothing is more unprofessional that someone tuning or noodling around on stage inbetween songs.

14. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Live Rock and Roll Rule No. 1:

Keep the awkward silences to a minimum.

Live Rock and Roll Rule No. 2:

No band "in" jokes. Nothing's unfunnier than a joke that only the band gets.

Live Rock and Roll Rule No. 3:

Unless you're the lead singer, keep your comments into the mike to a minimum.

Live Rock and Roll Rule No. 4:

Be confident and kick ass. The rest will follow.

15. It's true, it's true! Don't let anyone drink too much, ESPECIALLY the drummer. And yeah, if anyone screws up--if everyone screws up--KEEP GOING. The crowd might notice, they might not. But they will DEFINITELY notice if you stop. Nothing's more embarassing..........................................................................except when your drunk drummer keeps playing after the song ends. That's even worse.

16. Practice the songs and learn the lyris singing . If you make a mistake you can fix it.
    And remember have fun!!! don't let the little mistake became BIG.

17. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.

This is *SO TRUE*.

No band should be taken seriously if they're tuing audibly. In fact, I heckle them.

18. That's really cool. I'm sure they appriciate that too. You would think that you would have a little more class than that, being a gigging bass player and all. :rolleyes:

19. the pez is right I would never heckle someone tuning their instrument between songs...in fact they are doin YOU the audience a favor by being in tune.theres nothing more offending than a band thats out of tune...and maybe they cant afford a eletronic tuner...or just don't want one..some people don't lik'em...as far as advice goes..no matter what happens HAVE FUN!!!!

20. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    It depends. If anyone is trying to pass themselves off as a real band and they tune audibly, especially if they make a "tuning song" joke, then I'm kind enough to give them a reality check. If they're a young band, or otherwise inexperienced, I'll likely say something helpful to them after the set.

Can't aford a tuner? GMAFB. Then you can't afford to play live.

Of the heckling I have done, I have received many good-humoured "thanks" and never an attempt at suckerpunching me. I dish it out with good humour and they take it the same way. Usually it's more along the lines of "turn up the bass", "guitar is too loud", or "tuning break !!!".

Gotta lighten-up, especially if you're casual enough to be tuning through your amps :rolleyes:

>>> theres nothing more offending than a band thats out of tune...

This is also a great truth.