Tips for how to get started playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiveMusic, Mar 29, 2001.

1. LiveMusic

Mar 29, 2001
    USA, Louisiana
    I play guitar, learning piano. I've never played bass. Any tips on instruction material to get started on bass?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You might do better reposting this in GENERAL INSTRUCTION.

My advice: Find a teacher. Or....

Find a teacher. If you can't do that, I'd advise to......

Find a teacher.

If you can't afford one, try.....

Finding a teacher.:D:D:D:D
  3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    hm, jazzbo obviously forgot to mention how important finding a teacher is... ;)
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My bad. Find a teacher.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To just get going, try the way the overwhelming majority of us have - try to jam along with the CD's/tapes of your favorite musicians. No, you won't be able to play just like them, (especially if the guy slaps :D ).

When it becomes apparent that you're not able to pickup and play along like those you're listening to, I wholeheartedly encourage you to get lined up with some formal lessons, as jazzbo so "faintly" suggested. If you can't line up a one-on-one teacher there, in Louisiana, there are lots of instructional resources on video and on the net. But they are not nearly as effective as a live teacher, watching how YOU play and progress, and tailoring the instruction to suit YOUR individual needs. I've been playing longer than you want to know, and I just recently contacted a guy about advanced lessons. Even teachers are often taking lessons from someone. No one I know of, who isn't lousy, claims they know it all.

Once you are decent enough to listen to, getting with another musician or a band is absolutely one of the best ways to become proficient, especially because you have decided to take up an instrument that is mostly used to accompany other musicians.
  6. whoops! I was too busy tab-bashing. Consider this moved.

oh, and LiveMusic, I don't think anyone mentioned this yet - you may wanna find a teacher...
  7. LiveMusic

Mar 29, 2001
    USA, Louisiana
    Thanks but I don't want a teacher at this time. I'm looking for basic instruction material. I have my hands full with guitar and piano/keyboards. I'd love bass lessons but not now. So, if there any books or CDs or videos or website tutorials that are considered really good, that's what I prefer at this time.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

OK, how about:

"You Can Teach Yourself Bass Guitar": with CD. Paperback.That is about the simplest book on bass guitar I know of.

"101 Licks and Exercizes for Electric Bass" with CD by Dan Gutt. MelBay $17.95 (Has both tab and standard notation demonstarting exercises and licks, but absolutely no explanantion of how to put them in context.

"Note Reading Studies for Bass Guitar" Arnold Evans.
    Mel Bay $9.95 (With this book you can learn to read music and play the bass at the same time.

"Mel Bay's Complete Jazz Book" Earl Gately $19.95
    This book teaches you how to read, teaches theory and will give you a solid preparation to play nearly any style of music...not just jazz.

"Mel Bay's Complete Blues Bass Book" with CD, by Mark Hiland.$15.00, CD extra.
    If you can master this book, you will be in great shape to play most popular music, blues , rock and country.

9. Hey Livemusic, welcome to talk bass and to the world of bass in general. My humble suggestion is to buy some basic instructional books WITH CDs.

If you can read music, so much the better, If you can't the fact that each lesson is played on the CD
    exactly as it's written in the book gives you a good
    idea of what's going on. One place to start is:

This is that same manufacturer which makes those really nice mail order guitars/basses/amps.

I bought a couple of them: "Expanding Walking Bass lines" and "Jazz Bass", both by Ed Friedland. They have more basic ones too. While nothing will take the place of a GOOD teacher, these books/CDs can
    expose you to ideas that you might not other wise
    come across, and the fact that it's a book, means
    you can go at your own pace.

P.S. Just for a goof, the next time you throw a party, put one of these on the stereo and see how long it is until someone realizes that it's not real music.
  10. Or, if you want the whole kit & kaboodle, you can't go wrong with this book:

It's by Joel Di Bartolo. For around $20 it'll keep you busy for years. And it starts at the VERY beginning.