1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tips for installing bass strings (flatwounds)?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fuzz_factor, Nov 3, 2010.

1. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    I'm a fairly new bass player and have yet to restring a bass. I've played guitar for more than 20 years and installed many sets of guitar strings, however. Over the years, I've learned tricks for getting a good fit, no slippage, proper windings around the post, etc. for all sorts of guitars.

I just bought a set of flatwound D'Addario Chromes for my P-Bass and I'd like to know if there are any tricks to properly installing bass strings. For example, most of what I've read on TalkBass suggests that flats on a P work better strung through the bridge than the body so the windings don't separate. I can do that!

Any other tips or tricks? How many windings around the post for each bass string? Does the "measure out two tuners worth and wind" thing work on bass?

Thanks!

2. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
  3. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    Cool, thanks. Pretty much just like a guitar then.

4. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    I finally had a chance to put the Chromes on my P-Bass. All in all, stringing a bass is actually easier and quicker than stringing a guitar. The only tip I have is to make sure your string winder will fit around your bass' tuning pegs otherwise you're cranking them by hand! I found that out the hard way. Fortunately, with bass string there are many fewer winds around the post than a guitar's 'e' and 'b' strings.