Tips for 'Noobies''

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by Arctica, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Arctica

Mar 9, 2006
    Hi, im new in the universe of Bass. I wanna know something, is the Bass easy too play compare from the others instruments??
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    To say that bass is easy is subjective. If you've got some basic rhythm skills and expect to play only root chords, then yes, it can be easy.

If thats not you, look into jazz, which I need to do.

Anyways, take guitar vs bass for example in a band situation - Sure, the guitarist can be a little sloppy here and there, but if the drummer and bassist aren't in time, thats when things get ugly :p
  3. Arctica

Mar 9, 2006
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It isnt as hard to get started on as other instruments like string (violin etc) instruments or brass/woodwind instruments.

You do have to gain some strength and endurance in your fingers at first.
  5. Ya, strength and endurance will be the first challenge.

I've been playing for 4 years, and I clearly remember that two of the hardest things I had to go through was

1- to master the 2 fingers play, work on having both fingers play on the beat at higher speeds and have both fingers sounds roughly thr same. But don't go ape on this, there'll always be a slight sound difference between your index and middle finger.

2- to get my ring and little finger of my fret hand to press the strings hard enough to avoid having the strings make a fuzzing sound. That's one thing you *really* have to work on.

But one way you could look at it and say that bass is somewhat easier is by pointing out that you can easily start playing bass without doing any chords or complex pattern. As long as you're on the beat and working all your fingers for strength, you're on the right track.
  6. Not so, my friend! I know Steve Bailey really emphasizes this, especially for studio work. I've seen him do it, and you can't tell the difference between him playing with one finger, two fingers, or three fingers. Now, no one says you have to be as good as him, but it is possible, and it is something worth practicing.