1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tips for playing staccato?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
  2. neebs

neebs

Oct 25, 2011
    Manteca, California
    Use two fingers to fret, and after you ring out the note lift from the fret.

Or pluck with finger 1, and mute with finger 2. Then as soon as note is muted, pluck with finger 2.

Or pluck with finger 1, and mute with finger 2. Continue process.

I'm not very good, nor use staccato almost ever. But I'd use option 2.

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    sounds to me like he is left hand muting. Finger index and the rest lay on the string (with just enough pressure to shorten the note but let it ring a bit).

4. Funny thing about stuff like this is I know I can play it but without a bass in my lap I honestly can't tell you how I do it. [Gets bass, brings it to computer] Okay, the way I do it is to fret one note and pluck it, then lift my fretting finger to mute and pluck a second time. The other fingers on my left hand kind of lazily drape over the strings for light muting as necessary. Honestly thinking about it makes it more difficult. Someday using a pick will become as second nature to me as stuff like this I hope...

5. I play that by using a lot of weight in the plucking fingers to emphasize the 1st note of the pattern and then lighten up on the second note. That way you get the BUM-bum, BUM-bum sound.

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Staccato is all about controlling the back end of the notes you're playing. If you lift your fretting finger just enough get the string off of the fret but maintain contact with the string, you've got an instant mute. if you want your 8th notes to really pump, this needs to become automatic.

7. shtik

shtik

Jun 8, 2011
    Totally, a combination of left hand and right hand mute, as well as right hand dynamics can get you there.

Also the depth of playing should be light. Left hand should press lightly on the notes, then be kept on them with a light touch - should look like the left hand doesn't move up and down the strings much. On the right hand, using the tip of the fingers as opposed to digging deep in between the strings.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Two ways for me:

1. Fret hand--I let go of the note quickly.

2. Plucking hand--using two fingers, just as I play a note the second finger comes to touch the string to mute it. Then, that same finger plucks the next note and then the first finger mutes (a reversal in function).

Sometimes I've even used both ways together.

9. Fuzzy Dustmite

Fuzzy Dustmite

Jan 25, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    this should give you some pointers:

10. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I like the palm mute technique. Ed Friedland has a good tutorial video on it.