Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips for removing plastic fretlines?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fookgub, Mar 9, 2006.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've got an SX fretless neck that I've been working on. I was filing down some protruding fretline inserts last night and I noticed that several are loose. That got me to thinking that I could replace the plastic inserts with some ebony veneer that I have left over from my last defretting project. The neck has no position markers, so the ebony fretlines would make for a nice 'stealth' look.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get the fretlines out. I'm afraid that heat will tattoo the board, possibly weaken the fingerboard/neck glue joint, and make a general mess if the makers start to melt. I've thought about sawing them out, but I don't want to expand the slots. Any ideas?

The inserts are glued in, so I don't think I could just tap them out from the sides. Maybe I could get under them with a mini screwdriver and pry them up? Has anyone done this before?

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Interesting question. My first instinct would be cut them out using a razor saw with hardwood cauls clamped on either side on the fretline to prevent wandering. I've used a razor saw to clean fret slots on a few refret/and defret jobs I've done. Stew Mac is selling these now

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Saws/1/Gauged_Saws/Pictures.html#details

Let us know what you end up doing. I'm about to buy a fretless Lakland 55-01, which I believe is only available lined, so I might be in your shoes very soon.

Good luck.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the advice. I forgot that Stew-Mac sold those things. Prices aren't too bad either. As luck would have it, I just sent an order in last night... guess I should've waited.

Anyway, I did a bit of searching around to see if anyone else has done this. All I found was this http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170204, So if other people have tried it, they're not talking about it.

I think your saw idea is the best so far, but it sounds tedious and I'd have to machine a guide for the saw. I'd like to find an easier solution, but it could be there's just no better way to do it.