Tips for Setting EQ from Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coleman, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    1)any tips?

2)the rock sound is my taste,any advise for me please?(my amp is SWR-SM500)
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Dude, you have to just start at flat and season to taste. Just expirement. No one but you knows what tone you want from your amp. That's about all you can really do.
  3. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    thx ur advise, i am just little knowledge for eq tuning!
    well!what is ur method to tune it, give me some tips and advise please!
  4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    For my amp (laney 65w) i put the volume to full, and teh volume on my bass to full, while all teh eq settings are at 0. ill play something, turn teh bass up, play it again, keep doing that untill i get distortion, then ill turn teh bass down a little, i will do teh same with the mid (which tends to be lower than bass and treble) and then ill use the treble depending on if i want a really 'bass' sound or a crisper sorta sound. If im slapping i might turn down a little and boost the mids. I have compression on all the time, my amp just sounds better that way, less distortion. I have gain set at 0. I control volume with my bass.
    Hope ive helped, but as the other guy said, its personal taste, you might want a bit of distortion in there, in which case you could boost the gain.........
  5. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    As previously stated, start with it set flat. I don't know what all the controls are on your particular amp but I'll offer some generalizations that I'm sure others may disagree with. First, consider cutting rather than boosting the deep bass. While it may sound great when playing alone it tends to get lost in the mix and use up all your power. Next, set your sound a little brighter than you may expect. Once a guitar or keyboard is added to the mix, this brightness can help you cut through.

Some bass amps seem to offer a fair amount of control of frequencies in the 2k and up range, but you shouldn't need to mess with these much as that is really not your sonic range even when using harmonics (although these frequencies do add some color). To get the additional brightness, consider using upper mids if available and so labeled.

I think the real key is to not get too wild with the eq - keep the changes from flat as little as you can, but still get the enhancements you want/need. Once you start extremely boosting a particular frequency range you can easily fall into the trap of boosting a whole slew of ranges to balance the sound again. But once you've started boosting everything, you're headed down the path towards unwanted distortion and the same balance of eq could have been had with less boost across the board.
  6. I don't touch mine, but all the required adjustments are made in a band setting rather than when playing alone. If it sounds good when playing with everyone else, that's the tone I want.

For rock, this is generally a boost in the low mids and high mids for me. Mids are cut a bit but not too much.
  7. Turn horn on cabinet almost all the way off.
    Bass to taste
    Treble flat (12:00)
    Turn Transparency to "min."
    Aural Enhancer at 1:30
    Parametric EQ flat (boost at 250Hz for volume)

The Aural Enhancer Boosts lows & highs while
    scooping the mid-range. Boosting lows & highs
    at the EQ effectively doubles this. Let the A.E. do the work. Sometimes a mid boost will compensate for the A.E.'s "scoop" and give a more
    flat tone.

Of course, as always, tone is completely subjective; therefore YMMV.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you are in a band, always keep in mind that the tone you like when you're playing alone might not work well with other instruments! Example: cutting midrange can give you a nice full tone by itself, but often gets lost in the mix onstage, particularly in four-piece (or larger) bands. YMMV.
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario

I second that thought. Whether it's electric or upright the EQ I prefer while practicing alone is significantly different than the EQ that sounds best in the band mix.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I strongly recommend everyone learns as much as they can about EQ. It is by far the most powerful effect out there, regardless of that instrument you play. The better you understand it, the better your bass tone will be. And the best way to learn abut it is the play with it. Experiment as much as you can. Just keep changing things until you know exactly what each knob or slider does.

I have a little rule that I follow. Whenever I change my EQ, I wait at least 1 minute before deciding if the change worked. It gives youe ears time to adjust to the new sound.
  11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Here are what I think are some general guidlines for a rock sound:

Cut the subs, (below 125 hz), boost the low mids, (around 325 Hz), cut the mid-mids , (around 600 hz), boost the high mids, (around 1500 Hz). cut the highs above 4k. The adjustments should be very small, nor more than 6dB cut or boost. This will give you a sort of heavy rock sound with some sizzle. (Assumes you are playing finger style.) The settings will vary a great deal depending on the equipment and your techinique, but it will give you something to start with. Experimenting is the key.

Petebass is absolutely right, understanding eq is essential to turning a good sound into a great sound.