Tips for shopping for a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Need some tips... like testing with the strap to see if it neck dives...

Do you guys recommend buying the display set (after trying them out), or get a brand new ones?

Can you ask for a new set of strings from the shop?

Anything special to look out for at the bridge or frets or something like that?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you play the floor bass and it feels amazing, i would get that one if it is in good condition.

I dont think the shop would give you new strings for free, depends on the shop though.

On the frets i would just make sure there are no high frets by using a ruler as a straght edge. Also check the fret ends: make sure they dont stick out beyond the fretboard.
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    On a demo, shopworn bass, I don't think a new set of strings is asking too much. I don't like spending money on something, then have to turn around and throw $30 at it just to make a new bass sound new.

As far as straightedging the frets, there is a little more involved than that. Not too many new guys will know what they are looking for, especially if the neck has the proper relief or not. I do also reccomend checking for fret sprout, they should be smooth, not sharp.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Always do your research, and most of the time, ignore the salemans personal comments. If he says 'yeah, i own one of these babies personally' just let it fly, chances are he doesnt. if he says 'i own one oif these babies personally because it has *insert impressive feature here*' take that into account. always use your own amp, because you dont own that $6500 eden/mesa/GK/whatever. use all your own gear if possible.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ... but I do

:bag: :p