1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tips for transparent burst finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Will_White, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Does anyone have any tips for spraying a transparent burst finish? I want it to be natural in the center with transparent purple around the outside and back kind of like this
    download.
    That's not the design I'm going to use just an example of sort of how I want it to look.

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    After you get the natural part right, and it's all sealed and leveled,
    make a heavy cardboard or MDF board shaped same as the body shape, but 1/2" smaller all around.
    Stand the board on legs or 1/4" screws for legs, being sure the legs will be inside the feathered area.
    Spray 90 degrees to the board surface, (trying it with 1"- 1 1/2" spacing) on a practice piece first, as this will allow you to adjust the height for width difference in the feathering.
    The overspray in the spacing gap makes the feather.
    You can increase or decrease the screw height for feathering width. Keeping the spray can/nozzle at the same distance and angle to the edge is critical to an even feathering.

rojo412 likes this.
  3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Does this work with bodies that have a forearm and belly cuts?

4. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Sure though you might go with cardboard and flex to match. One reason to seal the natural color before applying the burst is so you can sand back the burst if needed.