tips on a good combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tony h, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    looking for a good one, about 500 bucks, what's best

2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Best is a matter of opinion, I have a Eden Nemesis NC210,thier import, 250 watts and Loud and sounds good. New they are out of your budget, but used I think $500 is the going price.
  3. you can get a Fender Bassman 250 in a 2x10 or 1x15
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Separates are the best combo. Easier to move, easier to change and upgrade. Look for a nice head and 1X12 or 2X10 cab on the used market.
  5. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    Eden N28S anyone have one of these ? seem like a good price
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I haven't tried the 2x8", but I tested the N12S and wasn't very impressed. The Roland Cube 100 (1x12") absolutely blew it away, and I bought it. The Roland would be my recommendation if you want something compact and flexible that has enough juice for rehearsals (at sane volumes) and perhaps even gigs with PA support. It is incredibly loud for its size and power rating, and has excellent tone. If you want a 1x15, Ampeg, Ashdown, and G-K make good combos in that price range.
  7. Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    +1 on the separate components.

I just bought a mint Ampeg Porta Bass head and a new Avatar 2x10 cab for under $500. I don't need/want big, heavy equipment (been there, done that).

If you do some searching on this board or Ebay, you can do the same.

FWIW, I have a Crate BT50 combo that I bought for my son, and while nothing to drool over, it ain't bad for rehearsal and the coffee shop gig.
  8. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
  9. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH

You can find GK 400RBs for cheap on ebay. Paired up with an Avatar SB112 and you've got a better starting point then most combos (and easier to move). My experience with combos is that most are disapointing by themselves. They really find their voice with another cabinet. YMMV

Good luck!
  10. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    thanks for that man, some good pointers on this board. I'm a new member to the board, glad I found it.

Thanks to all
  11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

These have a great sound and volume. You should be able to find one NEW for somewhere near $525 if you haggle a little.
  12. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    +1 on the yorkvile xm200 its expandable (hence the 115 suggestion) and I like the BDDI idea...
  13. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree with Barfly and Mcrelly. For just under $500 the Yorkville is hard to beat.