Tips on applying carpet to a speaker cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Feb 1, 2003.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have a couple of projects coming up, and I thought I might try putting carpet on the outside instead of the usual paint/stain.

I'd appreciate any tips; I know you use spray-on glue and special backless carpet designed for that purpose.
  2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Yup youre exactly right. Car stereo stores are a god place to get the backless carpet. Theyll know what kind of spray glue to use too. I got some at home depot when i built a cab.

Wherever you put the seams, I would throw a couple of shallow staples (quarter inchers) across them. Not long enough to go through the wood and cause an air leak, and use a hammer, not a staple gun. This will prevent the carpet from coming up at the seams. (happened to my carvin cab) you can paint the staples to matcht the carpet, and if you sink em in enough theyre barely noticable.

Also, in hindsight, if you don't care about the color of the cab, I would choose a dark grey vs. black. Black shows dirt really easily. A dark speckled grey wont.

Putting side dish handles on the cab might make it harder, but worth it. Also, dont use the little cheap crappy metal corners that come on say.... carvin cabs. I like the huge plastic stack lock ones on Eden and Genz Benz.

this is all in hindsight.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    A good source for carpet, corners handles etc. is Great selection, good prices etc.

WATCH OUT FOR OVERSPRAY with the glue...looks bad and can't be cleaned off.

Paint a carpet colored line underneath the seams so they hide better.

Use a metal straight edge and very sharp knife to cut the seams too...

Good luck!!!