Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips on Bass Construction

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jesse_dietschi, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Hi there. My name is Jesse Dietschi and I am a 16 year old jazz bassist from near Winnipeg, Manitoba. As a personal challenge, I have always wanted to build my own bass. Obviously, I am referring to only building the bass body from scratch, building a neck by hand would be far too difficult. But I am still having some questions, what type of wood to use for the body? Where can i get the best deal on a neck and pickups? (i am looking for a fretless 5 string neck, best quality pickups i can get for a reasonable price) Where can I get a diagram for the wiring? So many questions. I asked these questions to Mr. Dimin on the bassically.net forum and he recommended that I go here for more info. If anyone else has any tips or knows of good websites in relation to this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Jesse Dietschi

p.s. if anyone would like to check out my band's website, we are a young jazz group called 7 Miles from Petersfield and our site's at http://7miles_band.tripod.com.

2. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    If you're gonna do it I'd say make the neck too. It's not THAT hard and it's way more satisfying in the end to have done it all yourself. You might see if you can find a book called "Build Your Own Electric Guitar" or something similar to that, by Melvin Hiscock. It's not perfect as a reference but it's not a bad place to start.

Also if you do a search on Talkbass there have been a number of bass construction/in progress threads with pics that you can learn a lot from.

3. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    Another source of info on bass & guitar instruction is the Musical Instrument Maker's Forum at www.mimf.com

good luck

Dave P.