Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips on buying a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Jul 12, 2001.

1. i wanna get a new bass...an American Deluxe Fender Jazz Bass. I wanna get a good deal at Guitar Center or Sam Ash. What can i do that can get me a really good deal?

gimme some tips...Nino?...Embellisher?...what advice can you guys give?

and everyone else can give advice, just no non-sense.

2. Best advice I can give is do what I did today trying to bargain down a Rick bass.. *drool* I walked in after having looked at the prices of what I want on as many websites as possible. the nice thing is that Guitar Center and Sam Ash (if I understand correctly) garuantee their price being the lowest. For exampe I found a rick at this shop here in Portland for 1500.. The sales guy who jumps me and I get him down to around 1200 becuase that is what I usually see places like MF price them at. The funny thing is, 1200 (300 off price) is nothing to this guy, like he expects me to go that low because I know that MF goes that low.. of course, why not, why put the real price on the bass, it makes you look like such a better person.. anyway, I walk out of there, get home, and do my research, I find one online for 985 *drool*. So I walk into this shop again today (the day after I first talked to him) and told him I would get my bass from this online shop (Not too worried about Ricks, I've played MANY in the past couple weeks and I've found them pretty consistent and I love them all) unless he could beat the price..

The moral of the story is: He knocked it down to 1080 with the serial matched case (something the webshop did not include) which is not really that bad since I would have had to spent another 100 on a case anyway, plus I know exactly what I am getting and I can walk out with it. So I saved myself $400 through some negotiating.

Best advice is know what you want when you walk in, talk to the sales guy and see what his price is and compare it to the prices you've seen elsewhere.. most salespeople enjoy their commision on what they sell, so they will match price. Don't be afraid to walk out if the guy is trying to hose you... Not sure about how often that happens in Sam Ash or GC.. I've never been, but you never know..

I talk alot... :)

William

3. Good advise from HWK2. Acouple of things I'd like to add are:

1) Try not to look overly interested when checking out the bass you want to buy. It's just a psychological thing, but, the more interested you appear to the salesman, the more he knows that
    "He's got you."

2) Be realistic. The higher the instruments price, the more you can bargain someone down, but don't
    think you're gonna make a fool of the salesman. Also, some guys will just bargain more than others.

3) Money itself isn't everything. Sometimes instead of just taking cash off, you can negotiate having a cable/strap thrown in for free, and/or a pedal at a really cheap price. (a lot of places will do this at the time of the bass purchase only) If you want to talk about getting an amp as well, you can really get a deal.

Main No No: Don't appear like a kid in a candy store, and you should be O.K.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I will add this:

Be polite and respectful. No one wants to deal with an arrogant jerk who "knows" what the instrument is worth.

Simply ask. "Do you match pricing?" Be specific about what prices you discovered and where you discovered them.

Also, try just saying "I am certainly looking to buy soon, but that is a bit more than I budgeted for."

If they think they can sell to you right then, they'll usually give you the best price that they can.

Chas

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Actually, they claim the lowest ADVERTISED price. They sell so much, they strong arm makers into setting minimums at which products can be advertised. That's their prices. But they are by no means the lowest.

I bought a Nemesis NC210P a few weeks ago. GCs price was $659. I called Bass Central in Florida and got it for $579. Would GC have matched? Probably, but I prefered the company that gave me their best price up front.

GC claimed $549 was the best price in the land for a Bass POD Pro. They wouldn't budge. I bought it from the Music Zoo in New York for $499. $549 is the lowest price anyone can advertise the Product.

Chas

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hawkeye, MJ and Chas all gave great advice.

Research your purchase on the net, and like Hawkeye said, see if your local store will match the price.

If they won't, then consider buying from a reputable mail order source, such as BassNW or Bass Central.

If you pick the bass that you want, and you know the price you want to pay, play hardball with them. Offer them the price you want to pay, but if they don't accept the offer, be prepared to walk out the door. They will try to get you to cave and pay more, but if you don't think that it's a fair deal, don't let them talk you into it.

Good luck!

7. thanks for the advice guys.

you see, i wanna buy a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass, which would cost about $1000-$1200 retail.

Do you guys think that i can get it down to $900 or $800?

what do you guys think?

what are my possibilities?

8. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, i have some advice. buy a used one. i bought the same bass for $600 because it has a fairly large dent/sratch on the bottem. anyways, ryan

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah... I agree with what everyone says.. Don't be overly excited.. Be firm but cool. Don't go to just one shop... I have went all over before choosing a bass. I knew I was going to get my stingray from a certain place b/c they had they same color and everything.. but I went somewhere to compare and the guy told me he would let his Stingray 5s go for around $1325 or so. The next day I went to purchace my bass and for one thing the guy totally ignored me, mainly b/c I am a fairly yound dude so i guess he figured I wasn't a serious customer. Finally the guy walks past me and I said "Excuse me sir I'm taking this bass out of here today so I need some help" of course he busted out with his salesman ship but it was to late. he said he could let it go for $1375.. I told him that I had been to a music store 2 hours from here and they offered it to me for less. He got alittle attitude but the Manager said I shouldn't have to travel so far away to get my bass and he would knock the price to $1325... so I got my dream bass

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I used to be one of those sales jerks...theres no way youll get the american deluxe for that much.
    If they retail for $1200 you may be able to get it for 1000 + tax. I paid 1150 for my 5 string..

When you go to buy it, make sure you have all the cash your willing to spend on hand..if they for a second think your "jerkin them off" you'll blow the chance for a good deal.
    Tell them what your willing to pay for it. If they dont accept your offer, then simply say ok, and head for the door. more often than not, if they know you have the cash on hand, they will try and stop you.

BTW, most retailers wont go below 20% of sticker price, so it does pay to find the lowest priced add somewhere and make them beat it. Sam Ash and Mars will accept an internet ad if you print it out. at least here they do. Good luck.

11. yea, when i was about to buy my stingray i was thinking about getting a local shop to order the exact one i wanted(color, pickguard, etc). but every time i went in, they told me a different price(usually higher). and being only 15 they didnt take me seriously. so i called bass central and they had the exact one i wanted. so i'm a happy camper and that shop no longer has a customer.

dont expect them to go outreagesly low. tell em i have x amount on me right now, and thats all i can do. worked for me w/ my amp.