Tips on making armor

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Well... something you'de probably never thought you'de see in Off Topic. I'm trying to build up a stage presence so we scare off the skaters and bring in more hardcore fans. So after talking to Hemlock they suggested dress up in gimmick and dance around like ***holes. That actually sounded like a good idea, the drummer in my last band used to pin up a (fake) pig's head to his rig and it went over pretty well.... So I got an idea, why not use armor to appear like cyborgs since it's a club scene anyway? Hey sounds fun, but the only stuff I could find is from raver stores and a little too shinny for my taste.

So... can anyone give me anytips on building my own armor?
  2. Are you looking for plate or chain mail?
  3. something like this
    I'm thinking of actually going to a friend of mine who works for a bondage shop that builds custom harnesses and other things and just have him make the armor. But if I could build it myself that would be more convienent.
  4. Sorry, can't help you with that style of armor-all I can say is, that I built myself a chainmail vest and no doubt it would have cost less to buy one.
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  6. I don't understand:confused: so you don't like skaters at your shows and you think that dressing in syborg armor drag and dancing around like A-holes is going to scare skaters away? HE He he hehe.Oh man this is the wackiest train of thought I have heard in a long time. oh how do you suppose your going to play your bass with all that drag?
    I think you should be happy that anyone is coming to your shows :eek: Oh! and Skaters Rule!!!
    Hey! Try dressing up like a Cop a Indian a Cowboy and a Construction dude, now that would scare away most skaters. :D

7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you should dress up in superbike/motocross race gear.

with a few alterations, chains, etc, you'd look pretty freakin badass.

8. I think you're a little lost... there aren't that many members in the band, I'll play my bass just fine because I wont be wearing that much armor, The skaters scare off the goths, punks and rivitheads with usual idiotic behavior, yes I'm happy with those that show up, where did you get the drag from?
  9. That's true, thanks for the idea
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The motocross gear idea is bad ass, Warwick5S! Get yourselves some chest protectors, used hockey pads or used football pads and a couple of cans of aluminum spray paint and viola!

Maybe take a pair of sunglasses, paint the frames silver (aluminum), paint a red dot on one of the lenses (think the Terminator), pop out the other lense so you can see what you're doing and then run something from the glasses to the armor. You know those black plastic tube jobs that you use to protect electrical wires? Try something like that, you know?

EDIT: Try doing a search on how to build a (Star Trek) Borg costume. ;)
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think that's how they made the cyborgs in mortal kombat:

12. Bigfeet, Ok so forget I mentioned the Drag thing.....Things have changed since I was a hardcore skater. Most skaters were into Punk. I was a "Skater Punk" they use to call me Shred Rat.. "Goth" wasn't a trendy term yet! I think we use to call'em "Death Rockers", but we all got along just fine in the new music was the Hicks and Red Necks that you'd have to watch for. now we have ######g Rap and techno nerds to drive a wedge in the music world.
  13. I was thinking of just getting something to cover my right arm and then taking an isreali gas mask and loading it with spikes... I know where to get the spikes and studs and other things, I could probably get some tubing and pvc pipe from a hardware store. Hey, this went better than I thought, thanks for the ideas.
  14. Yeah, in vegas the offspring of rednecks usually are skaters or ICP freaks. And there are a ton of them here. Now all the skaters I know of listen to sellout punk like Blink 182 and whatever sounds like them. Then they gravitate around other forms of punk (including industrial) to hide their ambigious nature... now that punk is trendy there's a greater threat. Maybe I wont scare them off, but hopefully I'll attract a greater fan base through exhibition.
  15. If you want to go into lighting and stuff, get some regular metal tubing. Find some that will fit your arm, and glue/rivet/weld/bolt on some other random pieces of metal. Drill some holes, and feed in LEDs. Hook them up to a small circuit board out of a toy firetruck or something. Throw a few into the mask as well. Could look pretty damn cool.

And if you want REAL armor, check out, and start browsing the pages. You can find detailed instructions on how to build full armor, be it plate, chain, composite or leather.

Rock on
  16. Eric, you have to be the funniest guy on talkbass. I bet your a total gas in real life.:D
  17. Whatever you wear would definately match one of those full cage hockey goalie masks. I want one of those things.
  18. I see this thread its got "I want to make armour" and its by Bigfeet. I thought... "this'll be good!" :p

Actually there's a band here Deluge and they have the arm/forearm bands on with 9 inch nails and spikes all over them They then wear shirts with leather sown on them to look like armour. They then have a Pike with the wooden end cut down so it stands just up to the tom rack on the drums.

Grow long hair and windmill action (like cannibal corpse). Here's another evil adelaide band. I dont suggest the face paint though.....

This is from a band called DarkLord.

19. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Buy football pads! and uh... attach orange street cones to the shoulders! and uh... for the mask uh... wear nerdy glasses.
  20. go to

my friend made this website, and on it it tells you how to make one... sort of. Just go to teh juggernaut and read about it.

wait... the website isnt working... ill see whats the matter...