Tips on Playing

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by dbassist, Mar 10, 2000.

1. dbassist

Mar 10, 2000
    I'm fairly new at playing the bass, though I play on average 3 to 4 hours a day. It may sound like alot for a 14 year old, but I absolutely love the bass. I have 3 electric basses and have learned them quite well. I just bought a Cremona full-size double bass and love it even more than the electric.
    I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me.
  2. Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    That's great that you like bass playing so much. To aquire a solid basic technique, you almost allways need to study classical with the bow, even if you play jazz. Scales, arpeggios, etudes, solo pieces, and orchestral music will help you in many ways- intonation, comfort of approch, musicallity, and sound whether pizz or arco.
    My teacher Jeff Bradetich (U of North Texas) just put out an excellent video totally dedicated to technique (L hand and R hand). I recomend it because those technique totally turned me around. It's $20 through Lemur or Shar.
    And most importantly get a good teacher that
    inspires you to practice. GOOD LUCK!!!
  3. contrabassman

Apr 13, 2000
    hey my teacher told me this if you practice your scales and arpeggios really slow with lots of pressure on your bow and then still slow but super soft everything in between will be so much easier
  4. Really?! A 14 year-old playing a full-size instrument? Most folks play 3/4 size basses; it's become the standard size. "Full size" it too unwieldly for most anyone.

The suggestion concerning scales and arpeggios is a good one. Western music is nothing but scales and arpeggios cleverly arranged.

5. beer_slammer

May 29, 2000
    what today is termed a "full-size" bass is usually actually 7/8.
    7/8s are often mistaken for 3/4.

full-size basses are pretty rare, yes, even the 7/8 are pretty big.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It should be easy to confuse a 3/4 with a 7/8, as a 3/4 is a 6/8.

Hey, after learning fractions, algebra and whatnot, I might as well use it, no?

Will C. [​IMG]

I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.

7. Youtube these cats (if you haven't already):

John Clayton
    Ron Carter
    Rufus Reid
    Avishai Cohen
    Eddie Gomez
    Ray Brown
    Dave Holland
    Christian McBride