1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tips on tuning?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DanHB18, Jan 9, 2012.

1. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    Somewhat of a random question, but anybody have tips on tuning? More stability, faster, more accurate, etc? I know that there have been times before that I've had trouble getting the E string to pick up on the tuner bcos I was plucking the string too hard. Maybe this will help out somebody.

dan:bassist:

2. 1. Yank on strings a bit to stretch them, before & after tuning(until in tune)
    2. Press down on both sides of string as it goes across nut & saddle to settle it into place
    3.Always tune up- IE if sharp, detune & tune back up- otherwise playing vibration will loosen the string and it will go flat. If flat, just tune up & repeat steps 1 & 2
    4. Post this in strings, setup & repair or OT

Edit: 5. Trim strings so that only it wraps 1 1/2 time around the post- I'm sure many will disagree, but after trying this(at a very experienced luthier's suggestion), tuning improved dramatically: The string responded more quickly & stayed in tune much better. I've done this to all my basses sinec then, w/similar results.

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Instead of using the open string, use the 12th fret harmonic.

Most tuners will pick that up better. Especially on the lower notes.

4. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    I always tune to the harmonic at 12, but have found that sometimes the E or B will not register to the tuner even there. When this happens, fully depress the string at 12 and pluck or strike until the tuner registers the note. This seems to give the tuner a point of reference. You can then follow by striking the string harmonic at 12 and the tuner will "hear" the harmonmic note.

I agree with the tune up method described by the previous poster. This seems to lock the tuning gear in and it holds better. Most instrument and hardware makers suggest this method.

Good luck.

Koog.

5. byronkowalski

byronkowalski

Nov 26, 2010
    Ireland
    i also find the tuners pickup the bridge pickup better, with the tone rolled all the way up. IME

6. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    Sorry about that, I was thinking stompbox tuners and since the majority of what's talked about here is stompboxes...

If a mod could move it please.

7. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I have to say that the quality of tuner will make a difference. Used to have one of those ubiquitous white boss chromatic tuners, it would often freak out and not track a note. Since I switched to a Planet Waves Chromatic tuner, no problems. Just my experience.

8. Make sure you have good intonation first before you tune.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I always "fondle" my strings and the neck during cooler weather to warm them up berfore I tune. Cold strings are sharp.

10. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    As bassteban suggested....."tune up" from the flat side. I also recommend not having too many wraps around the post. No physics lesson here, but my trail and error tells me this helps. If your bass has active electronics, you may have to have full volume to get a stomp box to register. I also have to "reset it" but muting all strings and pausing. This seems to allow the tuner to reset and recognize the next pitch quicker. I use the Pitchblack with a 5'er and never have issues with it registering the B or E. It also mutes the signal, so you can put it in the signal chain (not the tuner out) and can act as a mute switch.

11. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
  12. EvilJekyll

EvilJekyll

Dec 23, 2011
    NJ
    Holy crap. I went from okay, I don't see what's too bad...to *** so very quickly.

I don't understand how ExpertVillage can have so much bad advice.