Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips or Advice on preforming!!plz

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FourStrings88, Dec 13, 2004.

1. FourStrings88

FourStrings88

Apr 17, 2003
    Hey everyone drop me a private message or Im me.

Well this Weekend I will be playing at Startbucks open air,outside its not that big of deal only a X-mas song and a Groove but a gig is a gig weather its playing one note or just howing up or rocking out.

Anyways I was wondering since most people on here probally have alot of experience.What should I keep in mind or what should i be prepared for im not really afraid of the spotlight but just some pointers or anything you can throw at me.

Oh and I am playing with my Bass teacher who is playing guitar and vocals and I thinks thats it but other students that go to him will also be there

THANKS! =======================
    ==========================
    =========================
    =========================

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    preparation and rehearsal... everything else falls into place if you've got those 2 things sorted out... you play better, you look better because you're relaxed & confident, and if you've really got your material well drilled you can even consider looking up from your fretboard and interacting with the audience :)

prepare your gear, make sure you have spares & tools, clean your bass and make sure you're wearing some nice clothes... then go out there feeling a million dollars :)

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Be on time. In fact: be there early. Give yourself time to set up and quiet time for yourself.

I recently played my very first gig. Although I had fun, it was more or less a disasterous time in my mind. This was an out-of-town gig, with the venue about 2 hours away. I made sure to be up early that day just so I can relax and practice a little. Our singer was the driver. Now, I knew things were going not so good when he was an hour late picking me up because he had to wait for his wife to get out of work. So we get to the drummer's house (he was driving in his own truck). Swap some info and we are on our way. Well half way there we get a flat tire! And the singer knew (not that I did) before heading out there was something wrong with the tire! (Before that we even had to make a stop to put air in the tire). So here we are stranded on the highway because we had to flag someone down because we couldn't find a tire iron.

Sooooo...anyway..we were the first band scheduled to play. Singer didn't have the venue's phone number so he couldn't call to explain our situation (and the band after us later said if they knew they would have gone on first for us). We were supposed to be there by 6 and we didn't get there til well after 7. Our spot was for 7. When we got there there was no time to relax. It was set up and play. We only played 4 songs. I felt so rushed and stressed from the day's events it was hard to get started. I wanted to cry.

The funny thing about this is this may have been my first gig but these guys I was playing with have probably gigging since I was in grade school (they're older than me). And the singer comes off so professional and all that...but very disorganized IMO.

Sorry for the long story, but I learned my lesson from the get-go to be on time.

Good luck with your performance. Relax and have fun. :)

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Agreed, take 15 mins out before you play, remember that it's just music and that no one will die if you play a bum note (in fact, most people wont even notice!) and enjoy it! You can only do your best, so do your best and enjoy it, chances are the audience will as well :)

Also, relax and use your ears, if you play a bum note, dont panic, just listen and get your self back on track, tis no big deal :)

Oh and I expect it will be over in the blink of an eye, you'll finish playing and think "I want more!!!! Now!!!!"

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Know that it's normal and totally fine to be crapping in your pants. It's only a problem if it becomes literal. I've read journals from some of the greatest actors in the world that say they were horrified every single time they hit a stage. Fear, with practice, can be chanelled wonderfully into energy and presence. Welcome it, take it as a blessing and message that you are alive and kicking.

Playing live, IMO, is and entirely seperate art from playing in the house. The best way to learn to do it well is through experience. Some people get better at it quicker than others - but there is no substitute for actually doing it. It took me over 100 performances before I started to get really comfortable. I don't think that's the case with most - but don't beat yerself too much if you're struggling. It definitely gets better.

What the others said. Be early, KNOW YOUR STUFF INSIDE OUT, try to make eye contact. If you can't, at least try and look just above everyone's head which gives the illusion you're looking at them. Musicians who look at the floor all the time aren't very engaging or interesting.

If you have any faith in a power of the universe, god, whatever you like to call it - pray. I do before just about every show and ask that all things go the way they're meant to, without me getting in the way. I turn it over to the universe so to speak. To be honest - this is probably the most important prep I do.

As silly as it sounds, over time - positive affirmations really work. I repeat silly things to myself such as, "I am a great great bass player, I play impeccably." "I am a rich and famous rock star." Whatever works for you and makes you feel empowered.

My 2 cents.

Good luck and have fun.

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I have a tendencey to say curse words at myself when I mess up, either that or make a funny face lol, that's something I have to work on.

So true. At that gig I felt I wasn't up on that stage for enough time, they had to drag me off. It just felt, due to us being in a hurry and only playing a few songs, like I didn't even play anything. And I wanted more!!

I never thought about stage fright, maybe cuz I didn't have time to be nervous. But I have that "I don't care what other ppl think" attitude. I mean, I care what I think, how I sound, I'm quite the perfectionist, but you have to get up there and play like you own it. You may not like a song you're playing or you may not be very good at playing a particular song, but it's like with the right mind-set (and I'm thinking about Joe's affirmations in the post above me lol) things will be great.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, that's a bad one, I used to do that.. now I either just carry on and ignore it, or if it's real clanger I laugh. If you can muster up a laugh, it helps disperse the stress/ worry/ dissapointment (whatever it is) when you make a mistake.

You just have to remember that it is only music and no one die if you play Bb in stead of B! Not to say that it doesnt matter, it does, if you are going top get up on stage you should work hard to be the best musician you can be, but, personally, as much as I love music and my life wouldnt be the same without it, it is just music :)

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
  9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The key to a good performance is to not be nervous. Just play your music, and maybe do a silly attention-whoring thing or something like a little dance or something. That's what I do. :hyper:

10. Kevjmyers

Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO

Yeah you know the key to a good performance is as simple as remembering the bottom line is you're in showbusiness. You are there to entertain the audience. Remember they paid money to be entertained!

Jaco peppered the whole stage with baby powder so he could slide around as if he was on ice. Remember you don't need Jaco's licks...just Jaco's charisma, to entertain.