Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TIPS PLEASE I"M GOING BACK TO SCHOOL!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, May 6, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The world of Acadamia will never be the same. I decided to finish my photography degree and I am deffinently flying blind. What do I bring to my first day of classes? I have the text books, and obviously a note book. Any survival tips, And yes I do have spell check on my MAC, I just never engage on TB. I started Monday and I am both excited and perplexed. Any help from you experienced and successful student types or recently student types would be appreciated. I'm 47, So this is like teaching a real Old Dog new tricks.

2. You know, I was considered a "non-traditional" student when I started college at 22! :smug:

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, for some good tips watch the movie "Back to School" starring Rodney Dangerfield.

brad cook

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    haha, that's a great movie! I can do the Triple Lindey...

Having been a recent graduate myself (okay, 4 years ago) I had that sorta same feeling too, sorta. I finally transferred to a University from City College and I dormed my first year there. So there you have me, a 21-22 year old dude surrounded by a bunch of 17-18 year olds. Oh, the times I had... :crying: Impressionable youth are great, aren't they?

Anyway, but that's for another thread altogether. You were asking about school tips. Being more mature and experienced, you are at a real advantage...for the most part. You aren't so distracted and you know how to play the game that is school. Most kids and younger people go to school and feel they are going through boot camp or torture. So they get the least possible out of it, worm their way out of every situation, and generally just don't get it or anything.
    You are going back to school for a definite purpose and already value what it is to get to learn stuff. For me, the biggest difference between students is attitude towards learning. So you are ahead of everyone else already. You know what is BS and you know what you need to learn. Some young students have the opposite problem. They think everything the teacher says is the truth. Or if they DON'T say something, it most not be important. You know better than that and that'll be your advantage too.

The only thing I saw from older students that I thought was rather dumb was they thought they knew EVERYTHING. Again, as if school was some sort of punishment. I advise an open mind to teachers and even other students and you should do just fine. Especially for something as creative as photography.

Keep organized. I'd say that made a huge difference. I was totally NOT organized. I would have done tons better in school if I was. Keep a little calendar of stuff that's due or things you gotta accomplish. Helps a lot.

As for the physical aspect of it, don't forget your pocket protector and your slide rule. I mean, how you gonna get the ladies to pay attention to you if you aren't stylin'?! :cool:

Best of luck!

-T

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree 100% with the above post. I don't like to generalize, but I find that non-traditional students appreciate their situation a lot more than those fresh out of high school.